Starting cabbage from seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Neva, May 1, 2005.

1. Neva

Neva Member

This year, we decided to try and start our tomatos and cabbage from seed. We planted the seeds in seed-starting trays with vent/no vent lids. We also kept the flats under two Reveal lights when the days were cloudy. We turned the lids to "vent" when the first sprouts came up and removed the lids when nearly all the seeds had germinated. We water from underneath every two days (sometimes we put a little Liquid Miracle-Gro in the water). Our tomatos are doing beautiful, but in the same trays, using the same treatment, the cabbage plants came up all spindley and droopy and are worthless. What did we do wrong? Has anyone out there got any advice on how to start cabbage from seed.

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    The cabbage needs the lights about two inches away from their tops, and they need them on everyday. The get spindly like brocoli does when they have to search for more light.

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Yes, I would say the light too.

4. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

Cabbage will be spindly in too warm an environment (like a warm house in late winter) with not enough light. I have had the best luck in a cool greenhouse.