Starting Alyssum

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by thefarm, Feb 17, 2005.

1. thefarm

thefarm Well-Known Member

Has anybody started Alyssum Easter Basket from seed? Well I had ordered mine thru Jolly farmer in the plug form and it has been postpone.. So I'm not a happy camper. Brenda

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Along with several other varieties, we start Easter Basket from seed. Since we're selling it, we start it in cell packs, directly sowing perhaps 7 seeds into each cell. It gets watered and kept around 65° F. No covering. Germinates in less than a week.

You could start it outside, sown directly into its space when things warm up a bit. Although it's not necessary to wait until the soil is 65°, the warmer it is the faster it will germinate and grow.

3. thefarm

Hi when do you start your seed? I use 606 deep. I want mine to be ready on Mothers Day. I'm opening the greenhouse May 1 st.. thanks Brenda :)

4. Marcia in MT

Well, I went to look it up and the crop timing book I usualy use seems to be hiding . . . so I checked Grimes' catalog (a commercial outfit). They say it takes 12 weeks to be ready in packs. Since this is already week 7 and you want them May 1, or the tag end of week 18, I'd say that you could start them right now.

There's a lot of good information in a good catalog!

5. thefarm

Thanks will try to find some seed tomorrow local..Brenda

6. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had the worst luck with this flower. Can't start it from seed and can't grow it from starts. Any hints? Thanks PAM

7. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

I can understand not being happy with jolly farmer. I was looking for geraniums, and thought i had found a good place, but when they quoted me the price that the brokers charge, I just told them nahhhh Not interested. I found them over at another place for .45 a plug, and no broker fees.
    steve

8. thefarm

WOW .45 cents that's great are they zonal? I ordered 1,ooo different color zonal from them.. Would you mind sharing your broker with me that you got it for .45 cents each.. you can send private email or pm me.. thanks brenda :)

9. Marcia in MT

Pam, we sow 5 - 7 seeds directly into each cell of a 1006. The flats are placed on a bench in a 65° greenhouse. They are watered gently, but *well* so that the seeds are settled down into the surface of the soil (we use Fisons Sunshine #2) and there is plenty of moisture for germination. Sometimes I cover the whole area with floating row cover, sometimes not. I'm sure it's best to do it, but I get acceptable germination without.

I mist the soil each day at least once, and water well when things start to get dry. Plain water, no fertilizer, although we do inject sulfuric acid into the system as our alkalinities are really high. Germination is generally about 5 days.

I had extremely poor luck with multi-pelleted seed!!! So we just use raw and it works well.

I've never tried sowing it outside, but I know you can.

10. thefarm

Yea went to the greenhouse this Am and all my raw seeds were up.. All I did was plant and mist them down really well.. And I put plastic over them keep them in a greenhouse at 65 degrees... I'm so happy.. I might add I was taught not to use plastic wrap but it works for me. I do watch my plants very close and when I see green or any sign off it goes.. Brenda..

11. Marcia in MT

I don't like anything right on the soil/seedlings either, so we made little hoop houses out of PVC that fit right over each bench. They raise and lower on pulleys, and work really well to keep up the humidity and temperature, and protect the seeds and seedlings from washout by condensation dripping off the inside of the roof.