starting a small homestead village, WI

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wehes5, Sep 7, 2005.

1. wehes5

wehes5 Some dream; Others DO

this topic is old and worn out...

2. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

Where at in Wisconsin?

3. wehes5

Homestead settlement in Owen, WI...NW of Marshfield, WI; E of EauClaire, W of Wausau..it is vacant land now.

4. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

How much vacant land? And exactly how communist are the planned "rules and bylaws"?

5. wehes5

well. I have 10 acres. by laws..has not even crossed my mind. we are looking for 2 or 3 families. My husband still plans to work so we can afford to build as we would like, small but nice. Communial garden...laying chickens...we are open to ideas...we are new at this and hoping that others could bring some thoughts and insights to do it well. Any suggestions? We want to keep it simple as possible. I guess the biggest cost for someone, would be the cost of their home, getting gardens started, and taxes which at this point is about $200 year. Well please suggest ideas...

6. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

intresting topic . what whould be the requirements for the 2-3 familys your looking for?

7. wehes5

not lazy, not druggies or boozers (occasional drink is fine), have some wisdom re: homestead so they can teach us...and be able to help get the homestead settlement going...garden, canning, etc...we are putting an older camper on the lot in the next week or two so we can have someplace to reside while we save money to build our small cabin/home. others will need money for their home...and maybe we all pitch in for solar...I am open to suggestions...

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Where are you from Owen?
    Are you new to this locality?

9. wehes5

no, live in southern wisconsin now...will be new soon..any suggestions????thanks

10. tallpines

Is the land N,S,E or W of Owen?

11. wehes5

little NE of owen...

12. wehes5

are you from around there and familiar with the area... Can you give me any advice or suggestions..are thinking this may work for you?

13. tallpines

I'm about 10 miles west of Owen.
    DH and I are pretty well settled in since we sold the dairy farm 5 years ago....

I get to the Central Wis. Produce auction held 2 or 3 times weekly just west of Withee.
    If you have garden surplus or need extra for canning, it's a good place to buy and sell.

Hene Supply is nearby , the local Mennonie bulk food and hardware store.
    A good place to stock up on spices at a very reasonable price.

Lots of local Menonites are builders of good quality furniture.

Horst Stables (near Thorp) has frequent horse auctions----riding, draft, or driving---usually held separately on different days.
    They also, hold a small animal auction on the first Saturday of even numbered months--------lots of rabbits, chickens, goats, geese, ducks, emus, llamas----just about anything except cats and dogs.

Countryside Magazine had their office about 15 miles north of Owen---but have since moved to Medford.

Mason Shoes has their Outlet store in Chippewa Falls---good place to get work boots.

How dId you come to find land near Owen?
    Do you have relatives around there?

14. wehes5

my hubby has family in loyal and spencer. We came across the land by acciddent in the paper and was lucky enough to get it. Hey, thanks for all the info. I hope they have nothing against homesteaders up there...we just want to live peacefully and quietly...not like the big city we live in down here...thanks again for all the info. Hope to meet you someday...CW

15. Simpler1773

tallpines ~ I sent you a pm about the auction :)

wehes5 ~ I tried to reply to your pm but I got this message: wehes5 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

:stars:
    Bed time for me :)

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Hummmm. Sounds interesting. There is one thing that could seal the deal for me. How far are you from the Leninkugals Brewery?

17. Simpler1773

I looked it up for ya Cabin Fever ~ 43 miles :goodjob:

I just noticed your location. I graduated from Aitkin and my parents live over by Bay Lake ~ small world. My husband does lots of computer work in your area!

Ricki

18. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Good luck; sounds interesting. I was born in Milwaukee. We are in AZ now. DH can't take those mosquitos; otherwise we might have joined you. We have a small farm now and find it hard to work on our own. Need a caretaker for summer and garden work, etc.

19. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

Get your BIRD HOUSES up for those MOSQUITOS, or are there swallows up there? Check on BAT habitat, more the better, also Dragon Fly habitat. This Clan will work good with out any addictions. The use of the G-DOMES would work for houses. Could set up a small Mill to make lumber, there are trees ? There is a man who uses a Ballon type form and sprays Concrete over it to make a DOME. This is much faster, than any wood structure and the wind won't blow it away, if done right. Use Shutters. You could go up a story or two before the DOME. Just make sure you go down into the ground also. Happy trails.

20. wehes5

Well I have had some interesting e-mails...

One from a pro at homesteading who said " Don't expect it all at once. Take your time as not to make to many mistakes.Each family who intends to move on this vacant land should also financially help you in getting the solar and well done and whatever else it takes to prepare the land for living reliant...working out some rules on how many hours weekly families should work the garden/crop, etc. as not to have some problems...or assign certain family tasks..one do the garden, one feed the chickens and gather eggs, etc, utilize everyone's talents who can successfully do something. A small investment of solar and water, plus some work is a small price to pay to live out your days. I figure each family investment would be about $3000 +/- for crops, animals, etc. plus the cost of their home. Good luck!"

Any other ideas or takers????? We plan to be there full time by April/May as we are not prepared to battle out the winter...There is more crop land/rich soil...only few trees...so we are going to plant apple trees, pines and what ever we can get our tree planting hands on