Starting a herd?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by airotciv, Jun 6, 2005.

1. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been thinking of getting some goats, not sure what kind yet. Maybe dairy and or meat goats. My question is should I have a buck or go to using someone elses buck? I hear the bucks can be a problem and should be seperated from the herd unless breeding. Not really a problem keeping them seperate. The next Question is how to find a buck for my girls. Do you talk to the breeder you bought from and arrange for using his bucks? So many Questions :) Any thoughts on keeping bucks. I know you have to take in the expence of the buck for the year of up keep.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

a good idea would be to buy a buck in early spring and keep him until he has bred all your does. than sell him.
    susanne

3. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Personally I like to keep a buck. To me it is too big of a pain to take them somewhere to get bred. I am having this problem right now. My new Boer buck isn't quite big enough yet to breed 2 of my does that kidded a month ago and are ready to be bred again. Fortunately I have an uncle that also raises Boers and lives about 10 minutes from me. I know that he takes good care of them but I still like having them at home. After I get some quality replacement nannies out of my buck it won't be hard to sell him. I can just show the buyer the babies he throws, and I get another one. I do the same for my Barbado rams. The only thing I will have to take to get bred after my Boer buck is old enough are my two Black Hawaiian ewes. My uncle has a Black Hawaiian ram, but when I get a couple more then I will be in the market for a Black Hawaiian ram too.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I keep my own buck. Too much trouble not too. I have a meat buck (fullblood Boer) and a dairy buck (fullblood LaMancha). I got them young and they live together). I find them not that much trouble to keep as i also raise horses and cattle and a donkey herd...so a couple of bucks are not signifigant in the grand scheme of things. I like having a buck right when i need one. ....Diane

5. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I keep two bucks, horned. I don't particularly like the horns (my does are all disbudded), and I worry about them & safety. My thinking was they would look too feminine without horns (no offense meant). I must admit they are awfully handsome with those racks though.

For those reasons, I'm thinking of selling my bucks & keeping one a year until the does are all bred, then selling him as was suggested above. For this small breeder, it's hard to justify the upkeep costs.

I read somewhere that a buck starts to earn his keep year round if you have 8 or more does. Has anyone heard this or done the math?

6. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks everyone. New to goats. I have also heard that unless I have 8 or more not cost effective to have a buck. But then the hassel of taking them to the breeder. I like the idea of keeping the buck to breed and selling, but on the other hand, maybe it's less hassel to just keep him. :). My husband said last night, So us males are just throw aways. Do our stuff and then get rid of us. :D

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Snicker, that's a good one.

I would have suggested exactly what you just decided.

Also, alot of people have milk goats that they breed to meat goat bucks and sell the kids. Best of both goats.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Yes, I breed only my finest dairy does back to a dairy buck. The "culls" are bred to my Boer and are integrated into the "meat herd". (True culls would not be kept at all, I am talking about culls in which the udder is not good enough to warrant the dairy goat staying in the dairy herd to procreate. A weak or unthrifty animal should be culled from the herd altogether).