Starting a berry patch.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by independant1, Dec 4, 2006.

1. independant1

independant1 Active Member

I was wanting to start a berry patch this spring. I was wondering if I could plant many varieties within 1 patch (strawberries, rasphberries, gooseberries) or would it be better to have 3 seperate patches for each? Any advice you give would be great. Thanks!

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I would plant seperate patches.Otherwise the strawberries may get to much shade though if you wanted to I suppose you could try a few strawberries between the rows if they were far enough apart and the rows went north south to still give them a little light, You may get a few strawberries, I think it would be far better to make them seperate though IMO.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

One kind will be more vigorous than the other(s) and will take over the whole patch. BEtter to do xxx yyy zzz in smaller bits if space requires than x y z x y z x y z

4. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Another thought; it's better to have a couple smaller patches in different spots than one big one. Such as, if my hens get into my strawberry patch out back, I've still got the front yard patch to work with. Works better for me!

5. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i am experimenting interplanting strawberries and thornless blackberries. i am planting one row strawberries and one row blackberries. so the blackberries rows are not so close together. but i am also planting the blackberries about 10 feet apart(triple crown) and planting strawberries between them about 6 inches apart. i did this this fall. my thought is this. i really want the blackberries, but it takes about three years to really produce. but if i plant strawberries in between i will get a few this next year and more the year after that. i planted the blackberries a little farther apart to have room for the strawberries. and maybe the strawberries will choke out the weeds. this next year i will not let the blackberries grow very many vines, as i want the roots to grow.

you have to plant seperate rows or patches or they will be a mess. red raspberries spread from the roots and need to be thinned or mowed every year. goose berries are alot of work for what you get IMO.

another reason to have different patches is too keep virus' from spreading.
    randy