starter feed for calf?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mary,tx, Jan 16, 2005.

1. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The little jersey bottle calf seems ready to start on a little feed. What do y'all recommend for a starter? I would like to start him on just a little of some type of all-grain, but have no idea what he really needs, or even how much protein it should have.
    He is maybe a month and a half old, is taking a gallon of milk a day, plus coastal hay and grazing.
    Thanks for suggestions.
    mary

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I forgot to mention that this is a steer, being raised on goat milk, and eventually destined for the family freezer.
    mary

3. Razorback21

Razorback21 Well-Known Member

Mary,
    Most of the feed companies have pre-formulated calf starter you can buy.
    We use Dairyway calf starter from Nutrena, because that is what is readily available here in our neck of the woods, but when you look at the labels of most of the calf starters, their formulations are pretty similar in makeup. Perhaps some others on this board can recommend other feeds, but I would say a calf starter would do it. We normally put some on our fingers and let the calf taste it the first couple days and soon they figure out it is food and their head will be in the bucket. Good luck with your freezer beef endeavor. Ours goes to be processed February 2nd. As always it is an exciting time!

Razorback21

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We use Primer 1 which I would assume is a Land O' Lakes starter since that is what is most common around here. We offer it about three days after they are born. We put a small amount in a pan and they don't normally get into it until they are drinking from a bucket. They really don't eat a large amount until they are completely weaned. The Primer 1 provides every thing they need for the first six months and ours don't generally get hay because it contains roughage for them. We do not offer it to bull calves we are selling though the local sale barn though because there is a coccidiosis preventative in it and that would show at at slaughter. When we sell calves to be raised for slaughter though we mention it to the new owners if they ask. It grows really healthy calves and if you wait the 24 months or so for him to finish it will no longer be in his body.