Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I decided to start adding Herbs to my food growing areas of my yard. I upcycled some old frames from sliding glass doors as a frame for theherbs. I just do better when I have a defined area as I am still needing to improve soil and get top soil going..

Each area will get somelayers of cardboard, pine needles in various degrees of decomposition, wood mulch and cow manure.

I dont know what will go where yet but I hope to grow a little bit of a lot of things and then bigger amounts of herbs we use regularly.

My goal is to help attract beneficial insects and honeybees plus provide us with some fresh herbs for eating such as oregano.

What think I will do is bury more buckets throughout my other fruit tree areas to plant more herbs and flowers so I dont have to worry about the sand just yet and keep working on my soil.

Here at this spot I am planting within my blueberry plant (3 or so different kinds) I have apple trees (two different kinds) on eachside, further back you can see a little bit of a Santa Rosa Plum, Red Haven peach and a Pear.... Strawberry plants are a little visible but the elevation slumps right which hides a lot of them.

Any suggestion on herbs to attract in honeybees??

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Lavender. Dill is a really good one for a variety of reasons. Hmm I can't say I saw any bees on any of my other herbs but none of them went to flower I don't think.

The ones I'm working on building up are rosemary, basil, thyme and lavender. I use a lot of them and would love to be able to use my own lavender in the house.

Looking good!!!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts