Started building homestead last week!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Coloradosteader, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Coloradosteader

Coloradosteader Active Member

I bought 5 acres a year or so ago and just picked up 41 at 10,000 feet in the Sangre De Cristo mountains that is heavily wooded...whoohoo! I'm building a cordwood cabin on the 5 because of water and using the 41 for wood and hunting. They aren't too far from eachother, about 15min on gravel roads. I'm just really excited, my soon to be wife and I have been thinking about doing this for awhile.
    We decided to consolodate and build as we get funds. We are currently in a house 3 hours away in the mountains and work from the house. The goal is to have a livable structure by next June.
    The plan is a 700 plus sqfoot roundhouse with an outbuilding also of cordwood for well pump, solar array and water heater. A sauna and bathhouse is in the works as well.
    I've read some books and talked with some folks and started felling trees and stripping the bark with a drawknife last week. Yikes! Hard work, but the land is paid for and I've never been happier. I'm not an expert, but if any of you have questions or suggestions I'm more than willing to gab.

Just thought I would let you folks know someone else is picking up some hand tools and carving out a home.

Coloradosteader

2. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

All rite! Sounds like a great setup to me!

3. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

i think its great that you are doing this and i hope to be in the same situation within about 6-7 months! this is encouraging and exciting to hear about your dream coming true!
    id love to hear about the house your building, are you going to raise animals?, are you living off grid?
    tell us more colorado!!

thanks quad

4. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

What is the water situation up there?

BooBoo

6. Coloradosteader

Coloradosteader Active Member

We plan on going off grid with using propane for cooking. The hard part is... we are set on getting up to Alaska within the next couple of years. My sweetie and I are not keen on getting the Real ID nor chip implants etc. I think we would have a much better chance of staying under the radar up there. We both love it and have the know how and have been in "the bush" up there before.
    The place we are currently building is for us if we were to come back down to visit "provided we can get around the real id thing". Plus it gets us experience building with cordwood.
    My parents will use it while they build their place down the road in the next 2 years. If we decide to reside permanently in AK then I'll probably give it to my sister so long as she keeps it in the family.
    The water situation is so so. The valley has 2 water tables, one at 70ft and the other at about 150ft. We are about 150ft above the valley give or take. I'll let you folks know if we hit water and at what depth. I plan on meeting with the driller later in the week.

Coloradosteader

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........This something that I would love to do , IF , I could purcase a small tract of land for a reasonable price . I wouldn't need more than a 5 acre tract as long as it is within the nat'l forrest and ingress\egress is always available by all weather dirt road . That way collecting deadfall timber for heat and cooking wouldn't involve long drives and usage of expensive fuel .
    .........Do you have any kind of estimate on property taxes , building restrictions , and cost per foot for a completed water well . My basic plan was to acquire a small , older travel trailer for living while I constructed whatever type of home structure that was feasible and within my budget . Keep us informed as i just wish I was there to help . fordy.. :)

8. cookiecache

cookiecache Well-Known Member

So, your thinking about Alaska. Let me know if I can be of a help to you here (in Alaska).

Cordwood cabins are a great way to build. I think you will find that the thick walls provide good insulation, and the construction sure goes fast!