Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
34,216 Posts
It’s a division of labor.

Anything with a dollar sign, an account number, or a customer service representative is hers.

Anything involving heavy/shocky/pokey things, poop, or having to kill something is mine.
We have division of labor too. I make the money and she spends it.

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
I am the final node on my DSL line.

Being generous, my reliability is a 7 on a scale of 10, 10 being perfect. I get almost 6MB download, and less than 512K up. My latency is 66 ms +/-

How does your compare?
Last I check mine was a 2mb down. The upload was in the negative and it sucked it down to China and a poor Chinese Farmer with a dirt floor sends it up for me.

Elon wants this to give broadband to everyone n the country. He says anyway.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Last I check mine was a 2mb down. The upload was in the negative and it sucked it down to China and a poor Chinese Farmer with a dirt floor sends it up for me.

Elon wants this to give broadband to everyone n the country. He says anyway.
The dude’s definitely weird, but I think I like his brand of weird. He reminds me of some of the better mechanical engineers I’ve had the pleasure of working with in my career. He’s a little quirky, rarely predictable (especially on political matters, where we all know we’re supposed to be one one of two clearly delineated sides), and comes up with some non-standard approaches to problems.

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
The dude’s definitely weird, but I think I like his brand of weird. He reminds me of some of the better mechanical engineers I’ve had the pleasure of working with in my career. He’s a little quirky, rarely predictable (especially on political matters, where we all know we’re supposed to be one one of two clearly delineated sides), and comes up with some non-standard approaches to problems.
I like him because he does what he says he will do. So far he has not failed. One day he might but even then that is still an excellent track record.

What do you bet that he builds a few of those batteries here in Texas like he did in Australia?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Our electric co-op isn running internet to our county, In started asking when about a year ago and so far they are 6 months late. You have to agree to 12 months at $49 per month minimum and Im signed up so I have to wait.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Trying to click on this topic, this is what I kept getting: upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure

I thought you might get the irony, this being a topic about internet connections.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
My brother has been talking about this for months. He's ready for it and tired of landline stuff... I'm not tech savvy so I'll just have to wait...

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,580 Posts
I don't understand how their satellites can be 60 times closer to Earth than normal communication satellites. In order to be a stationary target for an antenna on Earth a satellite MUST be in a geostationary orbit 22,236 miles above Earth's equator.

22,236 / 60 = 370.6 miles above Earth

So for transmitting to the satellite (up loading) your antenna has to be fairly powerful.

And I guess in order to have an uninterrupted continuous connection with a system that is not in geostationary orbit, their 60 satellites must all be synchronized with each other (so you connect to whichever one happens to be overhead at a given moment).

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I don't understand how their satellites can be 60 times closer to Earth than normal communication satellites. In order to be a stationary target for an antenna on Earth a satellite MUST be in a geostationary orbit 22,236 miles above Earth's equator.

So for transmitting to the satellite (up loading) your antenna has to be fairly powerful.

And I guess in order to have an uninterrupted continuous connection with a system that is not in geostationary orbit, their 60 satellites must all be synchronized with each other (so you connect to whichever one happens to be overhead at a given moment).
Brother says your dish tracks them swivels and tracks them again?. I have no idea 💡. I might be the idiot 😂...

·
Registered
355 Posts
A friend of mine that lives about three miles away got accepted for the beta a couple months ago. I've been on the waiting list the whole time. He has a different zip code, not sure that's the reason?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts

Satellite dishes work like a Newtonian telescope. The dish is the primary (gathering) mirror and the feed horn is the secondary (focusing) mirror. In that arrangement, the dish can have a fairly wide field of view, and gather and focus the signal the same way the scope can magnify an image. The shape of the dish determines whether it is a short focal-length/wide-FoV or long focal-length/narrow-FoV. I’m betting that that the Starlink low-orbit arrangement relies on a shorter focal length and a wider field of view- like a low magnification scope- compared to the traditional higher-orbit satellite dishes.

Also, the dishes will track to a certain extent, and the whole system relies on being able to relay between multiple satellites as they track across the sky. That was, the dish can keep at least one, but preferably two or three satellites in view at all times. Transmission gets handed off from a satellite that is passing out of view to one that is coming into view, and dish movements are minimized.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,580 Posts
Satellite dishes work like a Newtonian telescope. The dish is the primary (gathering) mirror and the feed horn is the secondary (focusing) mirror. In that arrangement, the dish can have a fairly wide field of view, and gather and focus the signal the same way the scope can magnify an image. The shape of the dish determines whether it is a short focal-length/wide-FoV or long focal-length/narrow-FoV. I’m betting that that the Starlink low-orbit arrangement relies on a shorter focal length and a wider field of view- like a low magnification scope- compared to the traditional higher-orbit satellite dishes.

Also, the dishes will track to a certain extent, and the whole system relies on being able to relay between multiple satellites as they track across the sky. That was, the dish can keep at least one, but preferably two or three satellites in view at all times. Transmission gets handed off from a satellite that is passing out of view to one that is coming into view, and dish movements are minimized.
Pretty much what I thought. I had one of those giant 8-ft. dishes long ago before they scrambled things. The Playboy channel was not even scrambled back in those days. :) It was programmed to move to specific geostationary satellites. Of course, that was strictly receiving (downloading) signals.

I'm wondering how fast the uplink will be and how much power the Starlink antennas will transmit for sending data up to the satellites.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts