Starlings

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, May 31, 2006.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Are they destructive to crops?Never had them here till this year,always saw them in town, now there are 3 nests of them at my moms house.we are going to try to get rid of the nests after the babies have gone.We took one of the nests down and looked at the eggs 4 large blue ones,I could tell they were ready to hatch and thought the mother wouldnt set on it but she wasnt particular.I have seen her carrying food to them.

2. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

I have had alot more problems with robins and mocking birds in the garden but the starlings can really put a hurting on my apples when they are nearly ripe. It is not unusual to scare 50 starlings out of a tree at a time. They are real pests, I shoot them with a low powered bb gun but they're back 10 minutes later.

Kurt

3. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Kurt,my son said he was sure it was starlings that ruined the corn in his uncles garden last year.They have moved over the hill now to moms place.Guess we will have to feed them good or shoot them.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i would get rid of the birds before they reproduce, they are not a native spieces and push out local birds from nest sites and such, they are a cavity nester and push out birds like the native Bluebirds, Purple Martens, and others
    i am a Bird lover but not thoughs birds

5. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

I have starlings or barn swallows, I'm not sure, that make their nest on top of my shutters on the front porch. (covered) Drives me crazy and it is a muddy mess when they do that. Last week I was on the porch tending flowers and 2 kept dive-bombing me and I know they were anxious for me to leave so they could begin their nest.

I had 3 mylar balloons leftover from my son's graduation party that still would float so I tied them each to things on the porch and hoped that the shiny stuff would deter the birds. So far, it's working. I hope that by the time they run completely out of helium the birds will have nested elsewhere. Tearing down the nests don't help . . they build them right back in a matter of hours.

Geri

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's a mud nest, those are barn swallows. They eat lots of mosquitoes.