Star gazing?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JR05, Jul 26, 2006.

1. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I have a 3 mos old doeling boer. Starred to point her nose to the sky and just stand there. Seemed to being shaking or shivering so took temp. at the time it was 106.2. Loaded her up with pen-g for 5 days seemed to be alright. Then 2 days ago she started in again with the star gazing and trimbling but no temp. Gave her clostriduim perfinges c&d bactern-antitoxin 9cc 3x's now and goat and sheep serum. Still star gazing but not as bad. temp ok this morning. I do vaccinate all my animals but I have had one get the enterotoxemia anyway. Are these the symtems for it or am I dosing her with the wrong stuff? My vet is not available on wed and thurs because he does auctions and the other vets in area are stupid about goats. There is no diarrhea and she seems to eat/drink ok and will get up and run/walk when I go out there. Any suggestion?

jr05

2. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Found this at: Diagnosing & Treating Listeriosis

and this:

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the information. As I suppected she has Listerosis. Finally got in touch with the vet on the run, he gave directions on treatment so we are doing that. She seems to still be a little moppy but she is eatting and getting around.
    My next question to you because I forgot to ask the vet, Is there a vaccine I can give the rest as no one is showing signs of illness and it has been 10-14 days since this all started. What is the incubation period? I still have one doe that is prego and is due anyday is she still in danger should I go ahead and give her the shots just incase?

jr05

5. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

jr05,
    Sorry that you hace to go through this. We just lost a goat to this disease. It is terrible. Sounds like you may have gotten her in time. Everything we read about this is that it is not contagious. It is caused by some kind of feed change or stress usually. I guess moldy hay is the main cause. We gave very high doses of la200 along with fortified vitamin B for the thiamin. The biggest thing if she has stopped eating is to keep her hydrated. Everything that we read told us that it was a very slow recovery, so don't give up. If you got to her in time, there is a chance of saving her. Good luck

6. Milk n' Honey

As long as she is still on her feet, the chances are pretty good. If she goes down, you'll have a hard time saving her. The Thiamin shots are important, I've been told but you have to get that from the vet.

7. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Has the vet seen the goat? Listeriosis and Goat Polio are very serious illnesses, needing intensive care for awhile. Each one needing different care. Did you read all of what it said in that link I'd posted for you? Also, you said this was a 3 month old. Read that it's not very common for Listeriosis to show up in kids (read below).

Listeriosis and Goat Polio

These are just small portions of what was on that link.

I personally wouldn't want to mess around with the wrong treatment without having the vet test the goat to find out which it is for sure.

8. Milk n' Honey

Faithful Heart is right. In kids, it is usually Polio. In fact, it seems Listeriosis isn't actually as prevelant. That doesn't mean is can't be Listeriosis though. I would want to know for sure. It seems that I read somewhere that there isn't any fever with Polio but there is with Listerosis. You may want to google "goat Polio" and check on that though. Also, on hot days, a goat's temp can raise a degree or two and it isn't considered fever so be aware of that. We just got lucky on our doe, I guess. :shrug: She died with Listerisos but she was a yearling doe and not a kid. You better hope it is Polio b/c it is much easier to treat. Like Faithful Heart though, I agree that you should make sure you are treating the correct disease. The treatments are not the same and it will affect your success. Good luck to you!!

9. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

The kid is up and running around. She is eatting and drinking water when I look in on her. As to the polio- she only had the "star-gazing' system and none of the others. She did run a high fever several days. The vet put her on the thimaine as a precausion and the LA200 shots. Suggested the banamine for the swelling (brain) and fever. She is not staggering around and is very quick to run away when she sees me coming with that big nasty needle! Yes I hope I caught it soon enough too. My hubby is always saying Iam paranoid around the goats but I tend to catch most things before they get too bad. Thanks for your advice and I will keep you updated. We have had the listeriosis before many years ago,2 prego does aborted then, no one else got sick.With this weather the way it has been so hot then cold nights its a wander we all don't have more sick animals.

jr05