Star Baby bad sick..........

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by MissKitty, Nov 5, 2005.

1. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

Our little 13 month old Jersey heifer is bad...vet was here two days ago...thought it was pneumonia...Wanted to give her Nuflor but she had a sever reaction to it when she was a calf...or maybe hubby hit a vein when he gave it to her...MAking a long story short...Been giving her Baytril last three days and she is no better and gasps for air...We are just killed over this...called the vet and he is coming out in the morning and try the Nuflor and something else...probably give her some elecltrolytes also...
    But Star Baby has the night to go through...struggling for every breath of air...
    Please say a prayer for her...MissKitty

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I'm praying for you too. It is the hardest thing to see our precious ones sick. Hope to hear good news tomorrow.

3. MissKitty

Vet just left...Looks like she may have either a lymph gland swollen and pressing against her windpipe or a tumor or something..so surgery Monday to take it and and see what it is and where we go from there...Pray for her and us too....thanks...MissKitty :( :confused:

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I hope she makes it for your sake, and I hope she makes it for her sake as well. Hopefully the surgery goes off without any problems. Prepare the worse, and hope for the best, ya gotta.

Jeff

5. MissKitty

It was along night...had about 4 hours sleep and I feel it...
    Start is eating more and drinking more also..which every little mouthful is a lot to us..
    But she is still having breathing problems...especially when she lays down....
    I know lymph glands in people filter out the blood and any infections therein..I guess it is the same with cows...if it is a lymph gland...Ofcorse he mentiond lymphoma-cancer- possibility also..but added he felt no other glands that were swollen...Has anyone had any experience with this???
    We haven't sen her chew her cud in awhile...is there anyway her cud might have got lodged???..Pardon these is they seem foolish questions...I am gasping at straws here...
    I came in long enough from the pasture to eat a bite and check in here...I feel better when I am closer to her...
    This for the shoulder and any advice you can give me...MissKItty :(

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Are you ceryain this animal doesn"t have something stuck in its throat? Is this a large animal vet? Sounds like a pet vet to me!

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I hope that she gets better, and that it is NOT cancer, of ANY type. I will be praying for her, and for you, hope that everything goes just fine. Bye.

8. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Have you taken her temperature? It also sounds to me like something got stuck in her throat- did the vet try looking down it?

9. Christina R.

About the chewing of the cud thing... I've read that you can get a cud from one animals mouth and put it into a sick animal's mouth to see if they will start chewing and to help them get some of the nutrients from it. I don't know how feasible this is. My students are a group of prayer warriors, so you can bet we'll be praying tomorrow. I also use my milking time as prayer time, so the two of you will be lifted up big time.

I agree with the others that it sounds like something stuck in her throat. Even if the vet didn't look, is there a way you feel comfortable enough to look down it? If not make sure the vet looks before he does surgery.

10. MissKitty

:( Griffn's Belle Star Elite Is not suffering tonight....
    We took her to the vet and we had him check to see if anything was stuck in her thorat...I sure was hoping it was...But all was okay...When I went to see her this morning she greeted me with big brown tired eyes...I knew in my heart she was dying but wanted to believe it wasn't so...
    Doc called this afternoon and said he opened her up and the lymph nodes were grossly enlarge and it had spread to all parts of her body....SO tomorrow we go get Star Baby and bring her back to the farm to be buried...She was borned here...she will sleep here forever...This is a very sad household this evening...I appericate the prayers and keep the going...we need :( them...MissKitty

11. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Very sorry. Her suffering is over now.

12. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

13. MaryF

MaryF Well-Known Member

MissKitty,
    Im so sorry to hear that Star is gone....you have my condolances :(
    Mary

14. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

You have my sympathy. Poor lil gal! :(

15. MissKitty

Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers...MAtt has gone to get Star Baby now and the back hoe is suppose to be here soon...He would not let me go with him...Don't know if it was because he needed to grieve by himself or didn't want me to see her body...MAybe both....
    Miss Ellie...her MAmma..our milk cow...is running around lowing for her and trying to see in the cattle trailor that she left home in...So very sad...
    But death is as much part of life as being born...but it is sure a different emotion...no one to be liked
    I just take relief knowing that she is no longer hurting...I want to try and understand this disease..anyone that can point me to the right "read"...Again thanks...MissKitty

16. Christina R.

My class and I are so sorry for you and your family. These are the times that one wishes words were enough and that a computer didn't stand in the way of a hug. We will continue to keep you in our prayers.

17. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

OMG, I am so sorry, I hope that everything goes well for you, at least she is not suffering anymore.

18. goldspur

goldspur Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of your loss, I to am recovering from the loss of my milk cow, It's not easy to let them go back, no words can consoul a hurting heart, bless you, thinking of you in your time of need.