standard colors for tree harvest

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

What are the plastic tape colors usually used to indicate "harvest this tree" and "leave this tree" ??

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

paint, not ribbon

Paint the tree at the base and above the base. After harvest there should be paint left on the stump. No paint left then an unapproved cut was made and stipulate a penalty of 3 times market for the stump diameter. Give this to the harvesters in writing. Select a color of paint that is very obvious, choice is yours.

3. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BEFORE LOGGING

[​IMG]
    DURING LOGGING

[​IMG]
    LOGGING COMPLETED

[​IMG]
    WHAT YOUR ROAD WILL LOOK LIKE

Paint or ribbons for marking trees should be the least of your worries

4. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I'm the guy doing the harvesting. Well, my wife and I. I just thought that if there was a standard color, we should use that.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

When they cleared the right of way for 2 gas pipelines that cross our property, they used green tape to mark trees that were to be cut and red tape for trees that should be left. Pretty much everything in the 50 foot wide swath was cut. There were a couple of trees on the metropark (forest preserve) land that were left.

Hope this helps,

Mike

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Choose colors your timber company recognizes. As you are the loggers, you make the choice. No one else should be cutting on your land.

Some use a combo of paint and ties.

7. timbersavage

timbersavage New Member

usually they use orange

8. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

We use tape or paint here. You can buy tape that says "timber harvest" on it. If you use paint you can do a "X" on it. As someone else said it is up to you as you are the logger.

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

As long as you are the one doing the cutting, why add an expense to the operation, now if you have a particular tree ou really want to save then by all means mark that tree.

On timber sales ive cut on we had both leave trree marked units and cut tree marked, generally they used paint on those trees that would last several years, as it takes awhile to get a timber sale completed on public ground. The boundaries are also marked with paint and ribbons and the ribbons are generally rennewed just before the sales go active, and are replaced as needed.... again an expense you probably dont need to use on private property where you are the sawyer.

just my opinion..... if you want www.baileys-online.com has the forestry tape aailable and also the tree marking paints.

William

10. bearmeatwoman

bearmeatwoman Member

thank you hoop, for reminding them. it's even worse if your land is on a mountain side. i've given up counting the homesteads that have been abandoned here because of it.

11. forester

forester New Member

If you're planning on marking the trees to be left or cut I agree that paint may be your best choice. I spent several seasons marking timber while I was going to school for my forestry degree. I still enjoy what I call "paint-can silviculture" as it is the most personal (short of a chainsaw) way of managing a stand.

As a previous post said, find out what color the local loggers are used to seeing used for cut or leave trees. Much confusion can be prevented by using this. Also, when the cutters start, find out if any of them are color-blind. I've worked on jobs that had a color-blind cutter and some adjustments were made by the contractor. Despite that, a few trees were harvested that were marked as leave trees. I don't recommend mixing leave tree marking and cut tree marking on the same harvest area - another chance at confusion.

When you mark trees, I recommend a good, solid band of paint (at least 2" wide) all the way around the tree. Use a unique mark for a stump mark (I use a stylized "T") - especially important if you are only marking the trees to cut. A logger can buy the same paint as you do so beware. Make the stump mark below stump height on the downhill side of the tree.

The loggers I've worked with have been honest, hard working, business people but mistakes sometimes happen. Good communication is essential. I strongly recommend working with a consulting forester if you will be contracting out the logging. They will work with you to meet your objectives and represent you when dealing with the logging contractor (remember that loggers work for themselves even if they say they are working for you). Be aware if you use a forester working for the mill the logs will be going to. While honest as a group, they do work for the mill so ask lots of questions and get everything in writing.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know but I do have a passion for my profession. Sorry if I blathered on too long.

Terry

12. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Helicopter logging on hillsides doesnt even look like logging has taken place.

Mrs Whodunit