Stall sizes

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kittikity, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity Small scale homesteader

I plan on having 6 goats total.. Three oberhasli and three nigerians.. I also plan on having two stalls.. How big should I make the stalls?

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've got 10 x 10 stalls, but normally only use them for does ready to kid or temporary confinement. With full sized goats I'd think 10x10 would be OK for 2, if they get along and it's just for night or short period of time.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Just make one big stall, and two smaller stalls for kidding/separation. Make them as big as you can afford, that's what I would say. I'd say 10x10 is great for kidding/separation stalls, but I believe the rule is 15 sq ft per goat, 20 if possible. For minis, 10 sq ft per goat, or 15 if possible.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Your choice of materials may make a difference also. If you intend to use plywood for anythng its easier to go 8 or 12 feet than 10.. I have 12 X 12 stalls and the lambing pens I use are 4X4 since they are only in them a day or 2 at the most. Bigger is always better though. You can always divide a stall thats too big but you cant expand one if you should need more room