Staking pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by MARK, Dec 29, 2003.

1. MARK

MARK New Member

I've raised pigs most of my life in a smallish pen and then shut them up in a smaller pen about a week before butchering time.This works wonderfully of course but have been wondering about fashioning a harness for a couple of pigs and tieing them to trees through the day.I'll be home all day so should be able to watch out for the nastier critters.

Thanks,
    Mark

P.S. The harness will be of chain of course.Thanks!!!!!

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

yes ive read about staking yer pigs somewhere. the harness went around their middles. im sorry i cannot remember where i saw it. i think in a book i boroowed from the library. anyway tho it's been done...

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I would think it would be MUCH easier to just get some hot wire and a few stakes. Poof instant pig pen and its portable. Pigs have a healthy respect for electricity.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

To tie a pig, put a strap around its leg just above the lower joint where the leg is smaller. Small farmers used to tie a rope around the front leg to drive a gilt to the neighbors to their boar. The gilts would go ahead, but couldn't get away from them. If the pig is tied by the hind leg, it won't get tangled up..
    The Amish in southern Indiana tie a horse out to graze their lawn with a strap around their hind leg. It keeps them untangled. An animal gets used to this as soon as he learns he can't get away.