staking out fence line when corner posts aren't visible from each other

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Nov 7, 2004.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I have had my property surveyed. One side I am going to fence. It is around 3/4 of a mile. Straight line E-W. The surveyor stuck some rebar in each of the corners. My problem is one corner is at the top of a hill and then (after two other hills) the other corner I am running the fence to is at the bottom of a hill. They are not in the same sight plane whatsoever. How would I go about plotting some point along this line? I realize one little mistake can realy compile itself after 3/4 mile of fencing.

2. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

There are a couple of solutions depending on the depth of the wallet.

Have the surveyors come back and add line stakes down the line in question. These can be added to all of the highs and lows or every X distance.

You can rent/borrow/steal/buy a builders transit that has both horz. and vert. movements. Set up plumb over one corner , sight another corner and spin the angle to the line in question. Use the vertical to see up/down... Make sure the you know the angle to turn ie.. ask your surveyor what the angle is...

Another idea using a transit is to set it in a location that 'seems' to be on line where both points can be seen from. Sight one corner and spin 180 and see if it hits tthe corner in question... it wont on the first try unless you a far more lucky than I lol. You then move the transit left/right until you get online. Tedious but cheap....

In the good ole' days, surveyors used to construct story pole towers. Is this an option? You can always install a tall pole for temporary sight line.

GA

3. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

The surveyeor should have added line stakes all along the way -- at 50 yards or so. Mine did. You might be able to get them back out to do that.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Streach out a continous line that will handle a lot of tension, such as barbed wire. At the highest point place two tall posts about 10 feet apart where you think the fence line will be. They are placed about 5 feet to each side of the fence line and then install a stiff wire between them at the top, hook another piece of stiff wire around the horizonal wire with a big enought loop to slide sideways with ease. At the bottom of the hanging wire make a hook that will hold your barbed wire up well off the ground. Add enought tension so that the fence line wire can 'float', it will self center to the correct place for the fence. The biggest problem is if you have to move and redig in the two tall posts. To prevent that have someone start a fire on a still day so you can get a visual orientation via the smoke. It may be necessary to install two more posts where ever the ground is high.

To get the fence line wire to center, pick it up and shake it up and down continous times, makeing 'waves' will allow it to move across ground.

5. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I have the same situation. I have the two corner posts, but the 1100 feet between them is full of trees, heavy vegetation, a peat bog, and a irrigation ditch.

I wanted to use a gps and just strap it to the D9 cat and go from one stake to the other. However, after some research I found that gps is nowhere near accurate enough for this task.

Wayne

6. GREEN_ALIEN

Wayne,

If you can set up plumb and backsight one corner you could easily spin 90 to get online for short distances. Then setup over the first point set at 90 and backsight your first setup. You can do this and leap frog right through the woods. Make sure your corners are at 90.

GA

7. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I drove an 8 ft T-post at the corner I coudn't see and then took 2 pieces of 2 Inch PVC and coupled them together and put them over the T-post. It got the post up high enough to see to establish a sight line. Then had wife sight through my transit and with another piece of 2 inch in handd had her tell me on our walkie talkies when the piece I was carrying was on line. I then sprayed a flourescent dot on the ground - so on and so forth. Afterwards I went back and drove pieces of rebar in the ground with surveyors tape attached.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.....................I'd MAKE that Lazy Surveyor...come back out and finish the JOB. He, Knows better than to pull that kind of stunt. You , really need to have a Track loader cleanup the entire fence line ...BEFORE...he comes backout to drive stakes every 500 feet or so . Then you can use a stringline and it should be very accurate . ...fordy... :eek: :)

9. GREEN_ALIEN

Depending on what was hired out the survey may be done. 4 corners are less expensive than 4 corners and line stakes. I spent years as a surveyor and ran into this all the time...people tend to want freebies. Depending on ease we charged 400 per corner and 50 for each line stake on clear ground, 100 each over hill over dale and through the woods.

10. Brad

Brad Active Member

Mark my words in a few years these surveyors will find demand for their "services" is in short supply.

I posted about what is coming down the pipe here http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=62643
    The phenomenon of the GPS unit being more accurate than the map is already somewhat noticeable and it will become quite obvious in the future; this will mandate field visits to any location where exact coords are needed.
    New GPS software will be coming, as current software cannot depict such accuracies ( a few centimeters ) even if they existed. The long and short of it is you will be able to place your own fence points and property corners and skip the headaches the surveyor has left you with.

11. SouthernThunder

Thanks to everyone who gave a response to my question. I put some line stakes of my own in today after I constructed a couple of towers. My longest run was over 1000ft of nylon chord from one tower to a point on the opposing hill. When I was standing at the bottom the chord was over 300 feet above me! I cranked the chord barbwire tight and used a plumb bob to set my line stakes.

I just can't believe how much pressure this medium nylon chord will take. I had a stick tied in line to pull up some slack on the line. I grabbed this stick and pulled realy tight and started looping the slack over the post. I had it so tight that when I was on top of the hill the chord started pulling me back down the hill. :eek: Guess I better eat a bigger breakfast next time.

Anyway, I put in several tee posts along this line and they all sighted in near perfect. I plan on running high tensile on this particular strecth of land. Still gathering my patience to start the pipe fence... Thanks again for all the info folks! Ya saved me a lot of time and headache.

12. DCT

DCT Well-Known Member

Staking points on a line so that you may build a fence IS NOT what you pay for when you order a Boundary Survey. You must ask for these additional services.

My time is as valuable to me as I'm sure yours is. No professional gives away services or does work not ask for buy the client, why would Surveyors.

GPS will never work in the woods, even the $40,000 Survey Grade equipment.

Yes it can get expensive but so can moving a newly build fence if you get it wrong.

13. SouthernThunder

You must have misunderstood me. I did not say I paid for anything other than plotting the four corners... Thats why I came here asking for help on setting a fence. To say it would be expensive is one heck of an understatment! I could build 5 fences for the price of getting all the line stakes I need. I don't have any self esteem problems but Lord knows my time ain't that dang valubale and your time ain't worth an iraqi nickle to me. I was pleased with the job my surveyor did and I'm sure he had a lot of money tied up in those wooden stakes, orange tape, and tripod...

I'm just thankfull they have removed the restrictions on civilian GPS so that when I need to do something like this again I will be able to do it myself. Anyhow, thanks for your help.

14. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Maybe , when you start welding on this pipe you can can come back and tell us how hard...or...easy it IS to work with. I , personally , would like to hear your thoughts as I've had to work with the kind of Pipe that you described . It , will be interesting , to say the least . Good luck with your project , ...fordy.. :eek: :)

15. SouthernThunder

Hey fordy I think I lucked out on this pipe anyway. The first couple of pipes had a liner in them but all the rest are just regular old high carbon schedule 40. I was overjoyed to find this out too cause you guys realy scared me about the the liner... (and rightfully so). I did some trials on the lined pipe and I was having more trouble cutting it than welding it for some reason. Never ran into any magnetized stuff either. Still, I am sure I will encounter some nice little oil deposites here and there that will no doubt burst into flames. :eek: If you feel the ground shake and see a strange glow in the direction of Tulsa, that should tell you my project didn't go as well as I intended. :no: Remember, duck and cover.