stainless appliances

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by featherbottom, Jul 26, 2004.

1. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

2. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

I have all stainless appliances in my kitchen. My favorite is the jenn-aire six burner cook top with electric gridle on the end. I love the stainless look because it goes well with a country look or modern look. The only disadvantage that I see is it shows up finger prints very easy, I have five kids so the fridge always has some on it. But its easy to get off with stainless cleaner, to me stainless is worth the extra money .

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Stainless is very hard to keep clean. I would go with something that doesnt' show smears.

4. mucklingmom

mucklingmom Member

Fingerprints! Fingerprints! Fingerprints!
    Amy

5. featherbottom

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

If you wait till fall someone is coming out with stainless that doesn't take your print every time you touch it.

mikell

7. featherbottom

8. pioneers

pioneers Member

If you are truly looking for stainless make sure you are getting a stainless steel appliance many low end appliances are brushed aluminum and will show ware quite quickly with a lot of use. We had a jenn air that was not real stainless and over time it showed its age. We should have bought a viking or a sub zero.
    Although now we have sold that house and live in a deer camp without electricity and cook on a coleman camp stove so any thing would be a step up for us.

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

That I didn't realize until we shopped around a little. You can't mix brands, and even with brands, different lines. GE's stainless is a different color from Maytags, etc. Some are closer than others, but many of them will not mix well together. So if you don't mind buying all the same brand and the same line, it doesn't matter, but if you do, you might want to go with white or black.

10. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I got the call back that Kenmore. Hotpoint and whirlpool fridges have a coated stainless. Don't know the exact process. Will post when I find out.

mikell

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Are you more concerned about looks or performance? Stainless exterior is no sole indication of performance--there is plenty of junk prettied up with stainless or brushed exteriors. If you want the names of some good performing appliances (most of which are stainless, incidentally), think Viking, Thermador, KitchenAid (Pro Series) or Wolf, and then think of which automobile you'll be selling to buy the appliances... :haha: They're worth every stinkin' penny, though--seriously.

Stay away from DCS, Five Star, Maytag, and JennAir if you're looking for a high output range (for very efficient canning, stir-frying, etc.). Frigidaire makes a nice looking line of stainless appliances. I have their 26 cu.ft side by side stainless fridge and dishwasher. They're both fine and reasonably priced.

12. featherbottom