Stained counter top

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Feb 11, 2004.

1. I have a formica laminated plastic counter top on the kitchen cabinet with a rust ring spot at the office. Anyone have an idea how to remove it? I've tried scouring powders.

2. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

Light rust will come out of formica by using a fresh cut lemon dipped in salt. Rub it in and rinse it off.

OR squeeze a fresh lemon over the stain. Let it sit for ½ hour, then sprinkle baking soda over juice and scrub with cloth, rinse, wipe dry.

OR clean dull formica use club soda, pour on club soda, wash, rinse with warm water, dry.

OR scrub in toothpaste and rinse.

Give the countertop a light coating of paste wax (like turtle wax) to bring up the shine.

3. VAkat

VAkat Member

If that doesn't work, try The Works ($1.00 at Dollar General, more at the supermarket, Wallyworld). We have rusty water here....*sigh* Just let it set for a while.
    Have never tried the paste wax on the counter though, sounds like a cool idea!
    Thanks!
    KAT

4. happycat

happycat Well-Known Member

I've also read that lemon juice will work to remove a stain on formica. I've never tried it though. I love using baking soda to gently scrub things, because it's gentle and non-toxic.