Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 3yo boer buck about a week and a half ago.The lady who got him called today and said he was staggering?Said she gave him banamine and mineral oil till she can take him to the vet tomorrow.I have had no experience with any thing like this.She mentioned deer worm as a lady near her has had a few cases of this.He has always been my healthiest goat and I cannot think of what it could be.He was wormed about 4 days before he left not because he needed it but as a precaution against the stress of moving.Any suggestions? I would hate for her to loose this guy as he is a very nice buck with good bloodlines.She is a poster on this board so maybe when she gets home from work she can add some more information.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Some many illnesses can look like other illnesses.

Some things to check for that have similar symptoms in the beginning stages are:

1) tetanus
2) listeriosis
3) parasites

With meningial worm, you will see intense itching.

First, look at the eyes. If they have pink membranes, the parasite load is probably OK.

Second, the neurological symptoms need to be watched carefully as this is where it gets important to look for slight differences.

With Listeria, the animal will stagger and begin to lose motor control. You will begin to see the left side of the face begin to go slack and the left eye begin to roll around aimlessly. They generally do not want to eat.

If the face and eye are doing well, the swallow reflex and desire to eat is still there, but they are getting worse with motor control, think tetanus.

It may take upwards of 48 hours to really see the difference, but treatment for the two is still the same, with the exception of the anti-tox for the tetanus until we were sure. We began the Pen and B-complex immediately, which probably saved their lives.

We have saved two goats from tetanus- our protocol as per our vet was -

1) a shot of dexamethsone for 4 days, then banamine for 4
2) 10ml of tetanus anti-toxin once a day
3) 10 ml of penicillin twice a day for the large goat and once for the small one
4) 6ml high thiamine B-complex

We did this for 10 days. Both animals are still here. We have no earthly idea how it happened as they were both fully vaccinated, with a body condition of about 4 to 4 1/2.

The small goat was always eating and drinking, the large goat had to be fed with a large dosing syringe. We gave her Gerber oatmeal in an amino acid gruel and lots of water. There is some pretty ouchy pain with tetanus- the little guy's ear were hot and feverish, and painful to the touch which led us to the tetanus diagnosis.

Hope this helps-

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think the deer worm moves that fast unless he was already infected.

My guess would be polio or listeriosis. I would definitely start the B vitamin and if she's using the B complex make sure to use enough. If it's not too late maybe she could stop at the vet and get some straight thiamine.

What is his temp?

What has she been feeding him?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She called on her way to work.She didn't take his temp.She said she is feeding hay and a 10% all grain with molassas.Said he wasn't eating today.
I hope when she gets home she will see these posts and it will help her with what to tell the vet. I wish I was close to go see him myself. I didn't think it could be deer worm as none of my other 20 or so goats has had it and he didn't have any itching.In fact in my reading they say most goats that are treated and die from deer worm actually probably have something else.When he left here a week or so ago his membranes were at the top of the FAMACHA chart. I wormed him anyway because of the stress of moving and he had been in rut and running with my does for about 1mos.
I am thinking the allgrain may have alot of corn don't know for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
**** is still pretty much the same, thankfully hes peeing, but not pooping from what we can tell, and is standing but wobbles when he walks. Hes shown no interest in food, he gulped down the mineral oil earlier, I just have gotten home and waiting on my husband to finish getting dresses for outside to go take a temp and give b complex. **** was fine last night, so Im not sure whats going on with him.

The feed is corn oats and barley, the corn is cracked and its more oats to me than corn or at least a 50/50 mix.

I really think somethings gave him a good tummy ache but he doesnt look bloated but he just has that look to him but him to be unbalanced is something that doesnt fit either to me.

Hes ready so out I go.

thank you as always for yall great imput, theres nothing I wont do to make him better.

I have combo pen if any one thinks that would help

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Im kinda feeling this is whats wrong with him even though he could pee earlier today just fine, and is still peeing some, its just dribbles and he starts gritting his teeth so Im thinking even though there wasnt that much grain given, since he wasnt used to it, it was too much.
I hope since he can pee some what ok that it will pass by the morning, if not then you know where Ill be. Oh, much to ***** displeasure I took his temp and its normal.

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
I wouldn't think that stones could form in a week and a half. Did the previous owner feed him grain?

Have you given him some probios or active yogurt? I would do that ASAP if you haven't and pull all the feed and grain.

Does his rumen feel and sound like it's working?

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
I would also offer him water with electrolytes in in.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
No, Chris didnt feed him grain. Hes chewing cud from time to time and all thats been out their since was grass hay.
One thing I asked Chris, the little mustard colored seed pods that look like little tomatoes, are those toxic to goats? No other goat is presenting but i did notice that in some hay that I had got that was from the first cut this year since they didnt like the nice new hay.
Going out to check on him now, then off to work for a few hours and if hes not better then we are going to the vet.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Any time one of my goats seems wobbly, I think polio and treat with thiamin. Unless you have the fortified B complex, there's nit enough B1 to treat the polio. If the problem isn't polio, the B1 won't hurt the goat, but if it is, it can save it. The banamine was also correct to give.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Well, hes getting groovy with my last doe he didnt breed and acting back to normal. Last night I gave him 6 ccs of b complex oraly as Chris suggested, couldnt get anymore in him, hes still mad at me, and he drank another huge syrings of oil before that.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
How's **** doing today? Sure hope he's doing much better. Like fishead said it would be unlikely he could get stones in a week from grain but if you are going to give any grain at all or are worried about urinary calculi he should be getting AC everyday. I wouldn't have a male goat on my place that doesn't get it anymore. It's inexspesive & it could save there lives more than it would ever hurt them.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Getting the AC was the challeng, I ordered it off hoggarts (?) but have not go it.
**** is back to full form bellering wanting attention and feed.
I dont know what happend or what he could have gotten into, but I have also had problems with one doeling in the past but not with the same symtoms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts