Stabilizing Trailer Load

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by opus, Jan 25, 2005.

1. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Load bar, tie downs, bigger trailer that is capable of securing larger objects?
    What are you pulling this with?

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

If you look under the freezer theres probably leveling screws with feet on them, correct ?
    If so, take them out mark the holes on the floor, buy bolts with the same thread as the levelling screws, and bolt the sucker down from underneath the trailer, a loaded freezer sliding around inside a trailer is dangerous, if you crash into anything it will come through the front wall and crush everything in its path.
    If it doesn't have screw feet, you could use aluminum angle around the outside intead of the 2X4's, a lot cleaner looking, and could be screwed into the sides of the freezer.
    Just be sure whatever choice you use, make sure your not blocking airflow over the coils.
    Good luck, boy have you got your chores cut out for you !! :)

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Aluminum or stainless angle to hold. You can probably screw into the side of the freezers if you yse short screws.

mikell

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    You could also make up 2 x 4 fillers that just lay on the floor not fastened, easy to remove and clean around.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

A Ford Explorer. Pulls just fine, went all the way to CA and back with no trouble.

The trailer does have tandem axels and is not overloaded weight wise. I've weighed it.

Jena

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

That is a great idea. I'll have to get one empty to check the feet out. I also wonder if the bolts wouldn't shear off in the event of a major incident. Maybe the angle irons are a better idea. Hmmmm.

Jena

7. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Some people would do this with a 1975 Yugo! I am glad you are doing it the right way. Sounds like you have enough options now to make it work.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

8. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

If those bolts sheer off and it really is a "Major Incident" you probably are going to have a few more things to worry about than freezers. The bolts are the basic way they secure the bed on pick up trucks. Just put some larger washers or steel shim plates so the bolts don't tear out thru the trailer deck which is the more probable event.

Ah, those 1975 Yugo's, there was a powerful machine for towing. :D

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You do have brakes on the trailer, correct? I would either strap the freezers down every time I moved the trailer or permanently bolt the freezers to the trailer. In choosing straps go with the heaviest you can find, it's not just the weight of the freezer but the inertia from the speed or sudden stop that you have to control.

Is this an enclosed trailer? How much does this whole trailer/loaded freezers weigh?