Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
So how exactly does a Texan use 50-dollar icefishing cleats....stomp on snakes, fireants and scorpians? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
They sell those here for 20 something , but i got my wife a pair of rubber ones that slip over the toe and then pull over the heel like a big ruber band they work well as long as she remebers to bring her foot down flat or toe first the ones i got they sell in the ice fishing department for 6 dollars

i have a problem finding them big enough to go over my boots why wouldn't they make them to fit a size 14 lacross ice man boot seems like the ideal ice fishing boot to me

we had freezing rain saturday and we are still driving on it and walking on it the hyws are fine but the rest are ice they salted the intersections
it never got above 30 on the ground but the weather people said it was warm in the clouds.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
DH liked the GI ones he got in AK.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I wear mine everyday to walk the dog, shovel snow & ice, etc. The only time they won't help is when you get that thin glaze of ice. I had to replace the cleats after about 2 years but the replacements were only about $5.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"So how exactly does a Texan use 50-dollar icefishing cleats....stomp on snakes, fireants and scorpians? "

I have them primarily for use when wading our local limestone streams. The stream beds get very very slippery and these will help me remain upright. Its even more important for me since I have no feeling in my left leg and foot. OCCASIONALLY we have ice storms and in our last one I would have liked to have them for several days worth of feeding the sheep and goats.

The reason I chose these over the less expensive ones that PULL ON like a giant rubber band is the velcro and nylon straps that hold them on. I have size 15EEEE feet and wear size 16 shoes for my stockingfoot hip boots and waders. These will go over even that size shoe.

·
Banned
2,828 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
They bought us some yak-traks for work. I don't need to wear them often, but I really like 'em when I do wear them! I hadn't thought about using them when I was wading.... hmm... that might work nicely.

Also for wading, look into the felt-soled waders. I put them off a long time, just because the thought of felt on the outside seemed weird. Turns out, they work very well!

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
My husband uses Yaktrax. The slope up to our barn from the house was solid ice last month and he made it up with no problem. He can also drive the tractor with them on, so they just stay on his barn boots all winter.

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
I never thought of using ice cleats when wading in rocky stream beds and such. Good idea! That slime on the rocks can be awfully slippery. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts