Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in the process of getting our house together to put on the market and move out to the homestead. A very long time ago I purchased a St. Joseph statue to use in case we ever did decide to sell. While going through all our goodies to box them up I found it.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever used, or known anyone who has used the St. Joseph Statute in the sale of their house. Apparently, it is quite popular in some circles and there are folks out there who just swear by it.

I'd be interested in hearing experiences, good or bad. Thanks.

Donsgal

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
I have HEARD that, if you bury the statue upside down somewhere on the property, St. Joseph will "help" to get your place sold. Don't know if it actually works; never tried it.

NeHi

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
However, if someone buried *me* upside down on their property in order to get it sold faster, I doubt I'd be inclined to help much.

NeHi

·
Registered
167 Posts
It was a custom where I'm from but since I'm not Catholic I didn't think of it. I should have. We just took our house off the market. We'll try again next summer. I bet there's a run on St. Joseph statues with the slump in the real estate market..heehee.

Suzi

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I think it's disrespectful to bury a statue of St. Joseph, either upright or upside down. That's just a superstition anyway. When we sold our last house, we did pray to St. Joseph, but we are Catholic. Our Catholic real estate person, also Catholic, prayed a novena to St. Joseph on our behalf. We had it sold at a good price in less than 2 months.

I don't know if St. Joseph would pray for a house sale if the owner didn't really believe that St. Joseph could do anything or doubts his existence.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
DH is Catholic and we did this when we had our house for sale. It sold in less than 2 weeks! His GM's house had sat on the market for several months until she borrowed out statue. It sold almost immediately after burying the statue! Be sure to bury it with the face towards the house and be sure to say the accompanying prayer. BTW, our statue sits above the kitchen sink now. Good luck!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Being Catholic I am very afraid of this thread...because there are those among us who will point at this and say we use our saints in magic or some other dumb crap....I don't think it is a big secret that there are many anti Catholics. Saints are a bit like your friends...there are friends who can keep secrets...others you know not to tell anything to..there are friends who lend money, others who borrow...each saint has his or her own characteristics. St. Joseph was a carpenter..so of course he would help you sell your house...why not? He was also head of the Holy Family...and every family needs a home...seems logical to me. :dance:

·
Registered
208 Posts
vickiesmom said:
Being Catholic I am very afraid of this thread...because there are those among us who will point at this and say we use our saints in magic or some other dumb crap....I don't think it is a big secret that there are many anti Catholics. Saints are a bit like your friends...there are friends who can keep secrets...others you know not to tell anything to..there are friends who lend money, others who borrow...each saint has his or her own characteristics. St. Joseph was a carpenter..so of course he would help you sell your house...why not? He was also head of the Holy Family...and every family needs a home...seems logical to me. :dance:
Yes, protestants must love hearing about these superstitious Catholic things. By the way, we pray to the saints who are friends of God....it's not like they have any more powers to help us. They intercede for us to God Whom they are with in heaven. (kind of like asking a friend to ask a friend of his whom you don't know quite as intimately for some favor). I think rather than bury a statue, it's better to make a novena (prayers said for nine days) to St. Joseph.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Have 1 friend, not a Catholic, who had her home in CO up for sale for a year, I told her about the St Joe thing, she did it & sold the house in 2 mo. Moved to FL. Didn't like FL, was taking forever to sell there & I said, "where's St. Joe?" She had forgotten, did the bury thaing again & house sold in a mo.

Catholic friend of mine had the same experience-house up for sale for nearly a year & it sold as soon as they did the St Joe thing.

DD & SIL have their furniture store & factory for sale for 1 1/2 yrs (N. GA Mt.s) & St. Joe hasn't helped. :(

Patty

·
Registered
264 Posts
How interesting! I've never heard of this, but then, I'm not Catholic.

Is this the same Saint that you sometimes read about in the newspaper, who helps people out of a crisis? An ad is to be placed in the paper for a set amount of days thanking him when their prayers are answered. I used to see it all of the time. Then there is Saint Luke who saved the life of Danny Thomas. It now makes me wonder how many Saints do different things like this.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
That's St. Jude - the patron of impossible causes. The hospital Danny Thomas started is St. Jude.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very interesting replies. I wonder if St. Joseph would help me out since I am not Catholic (and not particularly religious, as you all know). Who knows, he could see this as his opportunity to infuse a little faith into my life. I certainly would be impressed if it worked! I would never dream of being disrespectful however. I shall ponder it further. Thanks everybody.

donsgal

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bonnie L said:
That's St. Jude - the patron of impossible causes. The hospital Danny Thomas started is St. Jude.
Oh no! Well, there is the Lisa of Green Acres showing through me! :rolleyes:

·
Hiccoughs after eating
1,003 Posts
This thread just made me laugh aloud! My parents had their house on the market for over a year with no luck, then they bought a piece of land and really needed to sell it. My mom confessed to me that she went out in their back yard at 2 in the morning to bury this little statue, because she didn't want the neighbors to see her. Well, I kid you not, three days later a family was driving around town looking at houses for sale and fell in love with my parents' house. Sold!

So would that fall under coincidence or statuesque intervention? :D

Good luck with everything!

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Here's my take on this, being a convert to the Catholic faith. There is no magic in such an act. However, doing such a thing sometimes increases one's faith. And asking, PLUS believing strongly quite often opens up the universe to receive blessings. JMO

The Church does NOT condone such things done in superstition, contrary to popular belief.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts