St. John's Wart and Echinacea

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pompeiijazz98, Jan 7, 2005.

1. pompeiijazz98

pompeiijazz98 Member

I am insteresed in finding out how to grow these plants, and where seeds can be purchased.

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Johnny's has the seeds. Try googling "johnny's seeds". I'll try to dig out my catalog and post a link tomorrow. Surely though, someone else will beat me to it.

3. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I can give you echinacea, will pm.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I can tell you how to make echinacea tonic.

It would be good to get 2-3 varieties of Echinacea. Purpurea, Angustofolia and possibly Pallida.

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

6. pompeiijazz98

pompeiijazz98 Member

Thanks to all of you for your help, I will be ordering some seeds now!

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Grow some for me. I'm addicted to the stuff. It's almost as good as sunshine.

8. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

St John's Wort interferes with just about everything, herbal or conventional. It is one herb I NEVER recommend for home use - IMO, it should be available on prescription only, and I'm generally against over-regulation. In my part of the world, chemists have voluntarily chosen to issue warning pamphlets to every customer buying SJW, and/or getting certain prescription drugs with which is interacts.

May cause photosensitivity in some people. Avoid strong sunlight while using it. Do not use for longer than 3 months at a time, following by a break of several weeks before resuming use. Usually takes 3 weeks before results can be expected. Do not combine with other herbs or prescription medications, especially those used for depression. While taking this herb, avoid foods such as red wine, cheese, beer, yeast and pickled herring. Do not use when pregnant or lactating. STW is contraindicated for chronic or severe depression.

Do not combine STW with any of the following in particular:

Foods high in tyramine (aged cheese, chicken liver, some red wines, yeast extracts, bolgona and other processed meats, dried or pickled fish, legumes, soy sauce, ale and beer.Dexatrim, Acutrim, Oral contraceptives, MAO anti-depressants. Celexa, Prozac, Luvox, Paxil, Zoloft, SertaWarfarin (Coumadin)Heart medications (eg Digitoxin); asthma medications (eg Theophylline); Cyclosporine.

Opinions vary about Echinacea, but where there's smoke, you'll usually find fire. Here are some warnings about it:

Professional advice should be sought before using Echinacea medicinally. Do not use if suffering from HIV, lupus, thyroid problems, multiple sclerosis, tuberculosis, myasthenia gravis, diabetes, auto-immune diseases or when pregnant, or if allergic to daisies. Excessive does may cause a scratchy, tickling sensation in the throat, and occasionally nausea and dizziness. Echinacea may trigger attacks of hayfever or asthma in susceptible people.

9. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

If you haven't ordered yet, I just saw them on Ebay.....REALLY cheap! Just a thought!

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Umm, if you don't get some tinging and an odd feeling in the mouth, it's worthless, watered down, echinacea. Yes, echinacea is bad for those who have immune system problems, as it boosts the immune system. So if you've had a heart transplant, don't take it!

Otherwise it is an effective safe herb.