Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
We have a Saint Benard.
Reggie weighs 175 pounds and is a big lovable teddy bear.
His best pal is a 31 pound mutt named Ginger.

Funny thing is that Ginger rules the roost!

Things I don't like about him is the need to launder my jeans and jacket so often!
His greeting, when we arrive home, usually includes a big gob of messy drool!
(It does, however, keep some of the unwanted guests from returning unannounced.)
Otherwise, when we are expecting company, we need to get him inside the garage until the guests make it inside the door.

Another chore that he does not enjoy is the annual spring hair cut.
His winter coat gets very matted and needs lots of cutting and brushing in order to make the summer more tolerable for him.

He is an "outside" dog only.
He has the run of our 40 acre woods.

He is very gentle but does not realize the power of just his weight.
When he and Ginger are in "playful mode" we need to pay close attention that he doesn't slam into our legs.

He has knocked us off of our feet.

This post shows a photo of our Reggie.
(He was born just a few days after the death of Packer player Reggie White.)

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=275015&highlight=logs

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
My brother owns a runt Saint named Moose. He is my sweetheart and is a big love. As a runt he only weighs in at less than 150 lbs. He is a bit drier mouthed than most saints and yes, he is a pure bred. He is wonderful with any dog or cat and is such a big softie that he is just happy laying next to you all day long. He has mild hip dysplasia(?) and the breeder is not someone who should be breeding(didn't know that when he bought him).

As for being a bull in a china shop-- believe it or not, he really isn't. He seems to be very aware of his size and is very careful around people and anything smaller than himself(which is almost everything). His tail has never, and I mean NEVER, knocked anything over(my gsd knocks everything over). He is acutely aware of children and is remarkably gentle and tolerant of them, even the strange ones. He is very careful where he steps when there are any people, animals, or obstacles around. You can almost see him thinking.

His drawbacks are that he is absolutely ferocious toward strangers and actually bit the satellite guy on the bicep and drew blood. He is extremely powerful and very intimidating. His fierceness is probably due to inbreeding unfortunately. I know that is a big "drawback", but this is the gentlest dog with family and people he gets to know.

You really need to do your homework when you look for a breed specific dog. Someone once told me ..." Find a breeder you like and then you will find the dog you like". That makes so much sense and works for any animal really.

·
Chief Goat Wrangler
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both so much for the info! I have wanted a Saint Bernard for as long as I can remember. Due to space concerns, I never got one. I have been looking for one since we moved to the farm this summer. A few days ago, I was checking a local shelter website...and much to my surprise, found a 3 yr old male that needed a home. He has apparently been roaming some neighborhood for the last year. We brought him home today, he will be neutered next week. He was obviously someones pet at some point, as he came right inside and made himself at home. He also goes to the door when he needs to go out. He is by far, the sweetest, most well mannered dog I have ever been around. However, he does really, really, really stink, and I haven't quite determined how to bathe a dog this big, but I am sure we will figure something out. :)

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Congrats on your new dog!!!

Call up some local groomers. There are lots of groomers who will give free or discounted service for a newly adopted shelter dog, I always did. Even if they don't, the price for a bath and blow dry shouldn't be to much. A blow dry for dogs blows out a lot of hair as well and should cut down on hair all over the house for a while.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The groomers around here won't do a saint because of their size and they say they are not set up for such large dogs. My brother did find one but she charges over $85.00 for a bath and blowdry. And Moose never has any mats, so that doesn't include brushing him out. My brother is fanatical about brushing him and is the only St. Bernard that the groomer has ever seen that doesn't have mats. Especially watch behind the ears for mats, they are the worst!! Congrats on him and just be mindful that they can turn ugly quickly with a stranger. But they are great dogs. Is he really slobbery?

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
they are AMAZING DOGS, they and the Mastiff are my all time favorite breeds, and i will have another as soon as i can,

they are protective and will decide if a new person is worthy of their familys attention, and are actually a pretty good judge of charicter, they drule, they shed, and they take up alotof space but ours that we have had, (three) have never been distructive accedentally or other wise in the house, only one was an outside dog, the other two were inside dogs and were extreamly well behaved, they just want to be near you and lay at your feet, or in your lap lol,

as far as grooming goes call up your local PetSmart, if its a store of any size at all they will have MORE than enough capability to handle the large breeds, i uset to work for them and they had LOTS of large breeds come in for grooming,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts