Squirt The Cat

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by uncle Will in In., Jul 27, 2006.

1. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

To be a real farmer like in olden days, you gotta squirt milk into the cats mouth while you are milking old Petunia. You do have barn cats, Right?? When one get behind the cow, just point a tit at him and squeeze. If you hit the cat, he will soon learn to stand on his hind legs to get his mouth lined up with the stream.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I think it's more fun squirting the kids!!! The cats learned to stay away a long time ago.

Heather

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I don't care for cats much, the combination of disease and out killing wildlife (which they dont need to do, considering they are fed). So naa, not friendly here with cats (they also pee on hay).

Jeff

4. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

give me a barn black <rat> snake any day over a barn cat.. Snake does a better job keeping mice down and don't make the barn stink like cat pee. lol as long as the snakes are not poisonous they are free to live on my land.

BP

5. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

You should've posted this back when I had Corabelle. I tried and failed miserably. Actually our cat has always been a bit shy with the barnyard. However, I did try this with our dog. She used to like sitting by me when I was out there milking. I managed to get it near her mouth once or twice, but never quite got it to look like the pictures you see! Hence, she had to be content to get some in her bowl once we headed back inside.

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Squirt, yes a cat named Squirt, loves fresh milk from the cow. Tubby, Squirt's son, also loved to stand for milk straight from the cow. We have a goat named Kitty, who enjoyed it as well. Though she also ran around trying to sneak drinks here and there and was convinced she was cat and not a goat kid.

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

We have a few cats that wander around, they aren't ours. They dont do ANYTHING to reduce the mice population, or the rats. I was also reading somewhere, cats can cause cattle to abort in some circumstances. Also keep in mind, cats are the highest carriers of rabies and distemper, along with cat scratch fever. Something about cats peeing wherever they feel like it, and what happens if a cow injests something from a cat? I know if they injest raccoon feces, they can develop brain worms and die.

Jeff

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Our cat colony has kept the rat and mice population down.You can always tell when they are training kittens because that is when the big rats are brought in (its as though the cats call a truce and lead the rats to feel safe..they are simply waiting for training time). For the most though, the big rat population has been wiped out. They only bring in small rats at this stage. When we were down to 4 cats, the rat/mice population shot up. Now that we are back to our 20 head the rat population is just about non-existent.

We've never had trouble with our cows and cats.
    Rabies isn't an issue here.
    Distemper doesn't pass to the cows either.

9. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I shoot every cat I catch on the place. Geese, guineas and big chickens take care of the mouse problem. I'm told tht Muscovy ducks like them too, and I have some of those promised.

Coons get into the cattle feeders and leave a mess. I hate those things; they kill poultry and will eat anything they are big enough to kill.

As for squirting, I have no milkers, but have a couple of beef cows tame enough to milk and so when I walk by one of those I squirt any grandkid in range. They know enough now to stay on the off side of those cows.

Ox