Squirrels--love and hate relationships.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hovey Hollow, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

We've been having a discussion over in the gardening forum about a race I'm having with the squirrels for the pears on my pear tree. Pony posted a really funny story about a problem she was having with a squirrel at her place. Everyone has them, they are cute, funny, obnoxious and sometimes a real pain in the kisser! They can wipe out your crops, empty your bird feeder and provide comic releif at the same time.

So, go ahead and share your squirrel stories here.

Also, here's a link to some cute videos of a squirrel obstacle course. It's been around the web for a while, but if you haven't seen it check it out.

http://www.squirrels.org/video.html

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Smart little buggers.

BooBoo

3. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Pony posted this on my other thread.....thought I'd share.......LOL!!!

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

This is a very funny squirrel story that happened many years ago. My Mom was troubled with squirrels so she put out poison to get rid of them. One ended up between the floor boards and was very smelly for awhile, but the last one got the last laugh. She came in from church and all the lights were off, she just had to go to the bathroom, so rushed in and sat down on the pot. You guessed it ! The squirrel was trying to get a drink, and when she sat down, it bit her on the rear end. To make matters even worse, the insurance company wanted to print the story as the most unusual accident to which she declined. We still laugh about her accident.

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I take a 50lb bag of whole oats and put it in a drum and soak in water til they stink. I then feed this to my chickens and they love it. I sometimes leave the lid off for a few days to vent some of the odor and to let the resident squirrels eat some as well. The odd thing is that if the oats are fairly fresh they wont touch them but the stinkier they get the better they like it. Once it is to the point of smelling so bad it will not wash off your hands they will eat til they cant hardly move. They seem to especially like the water in the oat barrel. Tehn four or five at a time stretch out on my large brick bbq grill and sleep for an hour or more. Someone once told me they thought the oats were fermenting and the alcohol is what they were after. That could explain them having a hard time climbing after eating the oats.

6. mightybooboo

OK,we have these really big old pine trees.
    Those goofy squirrels go way up there,then they pick pine cones and throw em at you!!!!

Couldnt believe it first time it happened :eek: .After a few times,they started throwing em and chattering away,like they were telling us off!
    Domestic terrorists is what they are. :viking:

As for 'Buster',give it up! Our Buster,a great dane, was worthless getting rid of squirrels or raccoons.Something must be up,name em Buster and they arent dogs anymore?????? :stars:

BooBoo

7. mightybooboo

Driving through Waterman Canyon.Come around a corner and a group of squirrels in the road.So I stop.They then proceed to chatter away at me,completely blocking the road.So I sat there a couple minutes honking the horn,them just telling me off good,shaking their little fists(exaggeration,but you get my point) absolutely refusing to move.

After a couple minute standoff,they moved off and let me by.

I stand by my Domestic Terrorist evaluation.
    Personally,I think they are out to get me (insert tinfoil hat smiley here) :D

BooBoo

8. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

My squirrel story is this:
    I was in the house. The girls were out back. I heard Slifer doing the alarm call and crowing...I run out the back door and there's a squirrel sitting on Obelisk's back, whacking her on the head with it's little fists. I didn't know whether to laugh, fall down or save her...I saved Obelisk from Muhamed Ali the squirrel...She was okay, but the squirrels have been acting loco the past couple of years.

9. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

All you guys wil mean selfish squirrels, take heart. My dogies spend all day chasing and barking at them and not letting any one of them squirrel's feet touch the ground. Most of the reason I keep them around!

11. VVG

VVG Member

My dog Sadie used to lay under the pear tree and the squirrels would make their squirrel noises and taunt her. She would lay there patiently and the squirrels would get closer and closer till they were on the lowest branch barking at her. and she would look straight ahead and ever so often flick her eyes to the side and see where they were. Eventually one would get brave enough to come down to the bottom of the tree and she would pounce on it. I watched her one morning get one like this and the squirrel was attached to her lip and she was yelping and slinging the squirrel back and forth for about 10 seconds and then it would let go and try to make it back to the tree but she was too fast and caught it and the same thing ...slinging it around from her lip and yelping.. it went on like that for several rounds.. several minutes and the last time she caught it it didnt get up again. That was the strangest dog.

12. mightybooboo