Squirrels In The House!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by silentcrow, Oct 27, 2005.

1. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

How do I get rid of the little monsters?? I have a live-trap set in the basement, but I can hear the little buggers down there right now! I'm dealing with red (pine) and gray squirrels. They won't hurt my chickens, will they? I have 2 pet chickens down there.

I better go look...it's getting awfully noisy down there :eek"

2. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a bit of bread with peanut butter and sunflower seeds on it for our live traps. I've heard they also like marshmallows. Good luck! Squirrels are evil!!

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I had squirrels coming in the attic same level as kitche- they'd gnawed a hole into the pantry and would attack, for instance, the few dozen ginger snaps I'd just made- nibbles and pee all over the cooki sheets! I just looped a snare over tehir access hole and caught one that way (lucky for him we were home when it got caught).

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I doubt they will hurt your chickens even though their main attraction is probably the chickens feed. The best thing is for you to find out how they are entering your basement and seal that correctly. This method will kill two birds with one stone.

5. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Goollly! Brings back memories. Grandma had 'em in her attic. Ended up having to cover holes with tin as they'd keep coming back.

6. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

I didn't know red and gray squirrels would share enclosed territory..as red squirrels are very defensive. Anyway..perhaps the reason the live trap doesn't work is because you have it in the same area as the chickens. Try to move the trap to another area..if you can..use peanut butter or nuts..and make sure the chicken food is inaccessible.

You gotta keep catching them until you get them all..don't give up after the first 1 or 2. Keep after them.

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you cant poach the peoples squirrels.... they belong to the public and its not squiirel season.

lol

8. Jessikate

Jessikate Well-Known Member

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHHHAHHHHH (gasp)

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

where/how are you setting the trap?
    what kind and size of trap is it?

squirrells are usually very easy to trap, but there are a few tricks that might help

first, place the trap as close as possible to where they enter the basement

make sure the bottom of the trap is not exposed, by this I mean don't support just the ends, make sure a board covers the mesh on the bottom because they are less likely to go in if they see through the bottom of the trap

place a goober of peanut butter outside the trap, and a little on the edge of the front of the trap

Take an apple slice and spear it with a branch, smear some peanut butter on the branch and apple slice. If they are eating the chicken feed, put a little on the peanut butter goobers.

Mount the branch at the back of the trap so the apple slice is midway between the bottom and top of the trap - squirrells are very visual and more likely to spot the bait if it is off the bottom of the trap. Make certain the trigger works with just a light touch. If it is a little rough to trigger, run a coat hanger through the trap sideways immediately in front the trigger so the squirrel must squeeze under or over and completely stand on the trigger.

Don't let them loose, they know the way in and will return. You should exterminate them. Dunk the trap into a bucket of water. A squirrel that has learned how to break into your house will break into someone elses if you try to be kind and relocate them.

Squirrels have 2 litters a year, and mom will evict the previous litter when the new litter is born. Baby squirrells go through a gnawing frenzy in about the second month (that's about now). They can start a fire by chewing on your electric wires.

Good luck
    Gary

10. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

The trap is set on the garage floor. It's baited with a black walnut. I know the chickens aren't bugging them...I keep finding new piles of black walnut hulls on the garage floor, and in the basement. They're getting in through the garage door. I have no way to seal it properly...it's old :(

The 2 chickens that are down there are only fed as much as they will eat a few times a day. In between feedings, they are hiding behind the old wood stove. I don't think the reds and grays are sharing...just taking advantage of the temporary absence of each other. I have a bunch of black walnuts down there drying, but they are locked in a wire cage.

ComfortablyNumb, that was very funny :) Made my morning! :sing: Though I think you're wrong...squirrel season is open right now. I have one in my freezer...he made the mistake of trying to steal nuts out of my truck :nono:

11. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

:happy: The guest that came to dinner and WAS dinner! :clap:

12. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

I dunno...
    fried squirrel is mighty tempting :)

13. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Be wary of the little buggers. I had a situation a few years ago that turned out no so well, thanks to one gray squirrel. I don’t know how long it took for the critter to burrow through my floor, but one morning I came home from work (I worked third shift at the time) and found one in my house. It had burrowed up from my crawlspace along the dryer vent through my subfloor and vinyl flooring. It was late fall so I suppose the animal was searching for the warmth. Needless to say, it was quite scared inside and tried relentlessly to find a way out, this lead to the destruction of a few window frames and doors (I had to clean the carpet also). I finally chased it out but the cost of repairing the woodwork could have been quite expensive (I patched with wood putty instead of replacing it).

14. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

So the squirrels are stealing the bait out of the trap. You could hot glue a walnut to something so they would have to stand on the trigger and tug on it. They may be stepping over the trigger. This is where the coat hanger or even string run across the trap would force them to put their weight on the trigger. Maybe you could fiddle with the trigger to make it more sensitive.

Do you have a favorite recipe for squirrel. I have a few rock squirrels on my mountain property that are getting too close to the garage and have been thinking about trapping them.

labrat - you are correct about the damage a squirrel trapped inside can do. They go crazy.

15. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I had a friend in Alaska who lived in an old log cabin. They always had a few squirrels that somehow found their way into the logs and would run up and down making little skritchy noises all day. Didn't bother them much until one died in the wall and stunk the place right up. They had to fill whatever holes they found with foam-o-fill and spray a stinky spray around the base of the house to get the squirrels to stop. No idea what the spray was, but I'm sure you can find some kind of repellent online... or a poison. It would be sad if your chickens ingested it though instead of the furry intruders.

16. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

When I bought my cage trap at a rummage sale, it had a black walnut wired to the trigger. :goodjob:

17. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You have chickens in your basement!?!?!?!?

As for the squirrels, this will work. Find the hole that they are coming thru to get into the house. Make a gismo out of the metal side of a soda can. Try to envision this, make a rectangular piece of metal from the pop can (top and bottom of the can removed and the cylinder that's left over is cut from end to end to make a rectangular-shaped piece). Then, cut two or three slits in the metal such that they cross each other and make an + or a *. Fold the corners of the + outward. Nail the metal piece over the hole such that the points of the + face toward the outdoors. The squirrels will be able to leave the house thru this gismo, but if they try to re-enter the points of the + will stab them. Consequently, when they go aoutside to feed, they will not be able to get back into the house.

18. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

GET RID OF THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are a huge acuse if fire in this country. In fact in the city I used to live in they were the third leading cause of fire. They chew or romex wire and Your house can burn down. If you dont have steel coated wire, dont wait a min. Get a cat to live there if you have to. And chec your wiring.

19. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

The number one cause of fire in this country is INSURANCE. :D

20. heather

heather Well-Known Member

LOL

Sorry to all animal lovers but we used rat traps -
    I never knew squirrels could scream
    It was terrible for a while, but the others learned quickly