Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20210510_225308.jpg

I saw deer tracks in the yard this morning but didn't expect to see this on the video.

Pregnant does have to eat. She cleaned up all the rabbit corn and bird feed too.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,203 Posts
My deer are knocking down the bird seed feeder and the hummingbird feeder.

·
Premium Member
26,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We installed the cameras about 5 years ago and never saw a deer in our yard on them before last year. This is now the 3rd time we've had a deer in the yard in the past year.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I gave up trying to feed the birds. If the deer don't eat it, the bears simply rip the feeders down and empty them into their mouths.

·
Premium Member
26,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I start seeing bear in the yard is when the "For Sale" sign goes up.

There was a young one sighted within a half mile of my house a number of years ago. It was big news because it was the first seen around here in over 50 years. But the Division of Wildlife claims to have no record of the sighting. I still have the newspaper article.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was a good guy once and reported a cougar sighting.... Obviously a young guy in a cube in Vancouver ....spit... or such came back with... you couldn't have there are no reports from there...

Of course you know me... all calm like... I spazzed on the guy... Don't you tell me what I saw, or next time I'll dump it in your cube live and see what you got to say about that little Starbucks, wing tip worrier wantabe..... yack, yack some more on the poor guy.... The guy was like .... OK, OK... This is what we know about that area... And told me of sightings and such.. I was like.. Well that wasn't so hard for you after you tried to BS me with your canned answer was it... Besides.. I had a phone camera picture of it in a tree from a neighbor 2 places down..

I guess they are too used to being able to BS the condo, Starbucks crowd too often..
Don't get me started...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your right... You can keep squirrels out of bird feeders SOME of the time..
Deer will turn it on edge and kind of drink the seed out of it..
Bears will tear it down, tear it open then lap up the seed... Buggers..

·
Premium Member
26,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This feeder has been real good for keeping squirrel out. I got it on clearance last year when I saw the squirrels had been chewing the top off the other "squirrel proof" feeder. So far the squirrel haven't been able to chew this one. The best they can do is jump on it and knock some seed out and onto the ground.

I never, in my wildest imagination, thought a deer would come into the front yard and just lick seed out of the ports. That was neat to watch.

I haven't checked the trail cameras yet. I know she set those off. I can see the light from those on the house camera video.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Never had a problem with deer, even the fruit trees haven't been nibbled on. Bears destroy the bird feeder once a year. Started carrying the 357 when a cougar was killed by a car a few miles from home. Ya gotta pick your battles.

·
Registered
516 Posts
a cougar was killed by a car a few miles from home (central MN)
+ + +
Maybe useless, but interesting info...
I knew people in Minneapolis west metro areas that started loosing pets.. Let Fluffy out and vanish without ever being found again.. I immediately said big cat.. Was told I was loony as it just couldn't be that... OK, what ever you say.. This went on all summer until someone got pictures of cougar crossing the river ice in East St Paul...

Turns out when checking on it, this is one of a number of popular migration routes from the Rockies, Big Horn Mountains, Black Hills, and to the UP of Michigan and across the US and Canadian east.. But many game agencies will deny there presence as that takes man hours to create a management plan, or if they admit there presence it will scare people.. Even if the animals are just moving through.. .

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
our DNR changed their tune to there is not a significant breeding population.

bears , wolves , mt lion , bobcat clear down to the WI ILL state line now.

plenty of pictures and road kill to prove it.

some fellas a killed a wolf coyote hunting , warden said that is a wolf they said not possible we don't have any wolves in the state line area you have been insisting they were all north of Portage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts