Squirrel in my fireplace

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pumpkinlady, Jan 22, 2007.

1. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

There is a squirrel in my fireplace!! How can I catch it safely so it can be released?
    We haven’t used the fireplace for a few days and yesterday I could hear some scratching. So today I opened the damper and heard some chirping. Low and behold a squirrel is now resting on the grate. I have the screen and the glass closed. Now, I just don’t know how to catch him without him getting loose in the house. I really don’t want to wait it out until his dies. The dog is going crazy and the cat could care less. I don’t want anyone getting bit. Can anyone please tell what I can do….

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

How tall is your chimny? I bet if you put a pole or a thick rope down the flue that it would climb right out.

3. pumpkinlady

That is an idea. Now, I will have to convince my husband to climb up on the roof (2 story) and tell him to ignore the snow and ice...LOL!

Maybe the weather will be nicer tomorrow and we can try.

4. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Is it possible to tape a chute of cardboard or heavy plastic between the fireplace and a pet carrier? Not knowing what the opening looks like it's hard to picture. Maybe just a really long box?

We had a grackle in the wood burner in the garage once. I just opened the door and shooed it outside. I wouldn't try that with a squirrel in the house though!

5. catmar

catmar Well-Known Member

The few times we had something in the fireplace (squirrels and birds) we made a tunnel from the fireplace to the back door. They smell the fresh air & run out. It takes time to set up the lone tunnel, but it only takes a matter of seconds after you open the fireplace doors for them to find freedom.
    Good luck
    Cathy

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If he got in he can already get out. If hes nesting there you need to get the chimney checked .

7. hrslvrtrailridr

hrslvrtrailridr Well-Known Member

Don't let him out into your house! A squirrel can do a lot of damage, they also put up a fight.
    I remember one time when I was checking in on a friends home while she was out of town. I opened the door and thought some kids had ransacked it. Stuff scattered everywhere. Her yarn was strung from one end of the house to the other. The plants were hanging in pieces. And all the candy was gone! Finally I realized nothing had been stolen, it wasn't vandals, it was a squirrel. Had to get a live animal trap to get it. What a mess.
    Maybe lite a fire in the fireplace, it will get out quick...the same way it came in.

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Do you have a fine-mesh landing net or a cop friend with a tazer?

9. pumpkinlady

Squirell update: He is still alive and well. My husband said when he gets home from work tonight he will open the outside ash door and then try to lift the lid in the fireplace with the poker. That way he won't have to open the screen much and hopefully the dang critter will go down the hole and out.

Molly (our dog) feels it is her place to sit on guard and keep watch until I get home from work today. The cat could still care less.

We seldom get squirrels in our yard since we have pastures around the house before getting to the woods. Once in awhile we get young ones looking for a new home and to eat at the bird feeders. I can't see to well what type he is; could be a young red or maybe a gray.

10. pumpkinlady

Our net is rubber and no tazers around! Thought about starting fluid (ether)but my husband said that would probably kill him.

11. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

NO ETHER or you could be getting peices of your chimney back from the next county. How long has he been there? If you are wanting to save him slide a little cup of water inside the screen and a peice of lettice , carrot, or any kind of veggie, or nuts, no almonds, so he can snack. After he is gone you need a screen on your chimney to keep them out. Good luck Sam

12. CGUARDSMAN

CGUARDSMAN Well-Known Member

open a window and let the games begin! :)

13. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I was thinking that you could open the doors to the house and let your dog chase him outside for you. Just close all of the doors to the other rooms so it can't go in and hide. Maybe even put some towels along the bottoms of the doors, too. That way it can't sneak under the door to get away from the dog.

14. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Get all of the animals out of the room, open a door, and open the fireplace, go to another room for a short time. The squirrel will find the way out, he doesn't want to be there any more than you want him to be there.
    Go for the easy way out.

15. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

If he's been in there awhile and is thirsty he could end up in an open toilet looking for water and drown.

Story:
    Uncle and I went out of town for days. Squirrel came down his fireplace (now mesh capped) and got out since it was an old not working fireplace.

We came back and someone went to use the bathroom, and found drown squirrel in toilet bowl, so Uncle was going to his back bathroom and a 2nd squirrel was there. Fortunately they were thirsty before they tore the place up.

Angie