squirrel hunting

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by AllWolf, Oct 16, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Well me and my DD went squirrel hunting early this morn. It was around 8:30am and we didn't take the camera this time. We sit down and seen a few little baby squirrels running around. Well my DD seen a white thing and I thought at first it maybe a skunk but then we kept watch and lord behold it was a white tail deer.. We watched it and then it walked on up in the woods so we decide to move from our spot. As we was walking slowly my DD said mommie look a Squrriel and sure enough it was the big one I had been after for 4 weeks we stopped and the squrriel stopped and looked right at us. I slowed raised my rifle and looked through the scope and fired it and down came the big guy. My DD said mom mom you got him you got him. I had to say SHHHH there where 5 more nice squrriels up in the same tree so we sit down and waited and waited and while waiting we heard lots of movement through the woods so we moved away from where was sitting and there was another deer coming right toward us. I thought darn if I had another rifle I could get this deer here we are standing face to face with the deer just bout 20 feet away or less. I told my DD to sit still because here I was standing and she was sitting but no my DD got up I said to her again stand still do not move so she stood as still as a tree.. Here I'm face to face with the deer and the doe decide to slowly walk away. Believe me I was scared but wished all at that same time had another rifle I could had drop her right there. After the deer walked off we moved out up in the woods and there where squrriels everywere's you look and darn chipmunks gosh I can't stand. I saw another nice looking squrriel and shot at it but missed because it moved on me so we finally got one other squrriel and then finally came home. It is now raining so we are here at home and clean the squrriel and put in freezer so now we have in all 7 got to get more for winter. I'm going to take another rifle next time so I can get a deer. What a great morn me and my DD had..

Want to check out our hunting page..

You are welcome to.. Hope to be able to add more photos later.. Enjoy these.. I don't look much but I have fun. LOL.. :rolleyes:

Hunting Photos

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Sounds like you both had a great time! That one red squirrel is sure a big one :)

3. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

nice pic's...you bagged a fox squirrel and a grey squirrel...those fox squirrel's get big...they come in solid black to solid white and all colors in between.most of the time fox's are in the biggest trees in the forest or along edges of forest.they also like sink-holes with just a few trees in them out in fields....

4. I really enjoyed those pictures. Loved the big smiles on you and your DD's faces. However, don't let them go to frowns if you take a bigger rifle and it isn't deer rifle season yet. Last thing you want to do is to be paying a $1000. in fines plus the loss of your rifle, and truck. But at least now you know where to go when deer rifle season does open up. Hunting squirrels is a great way to scout out for deer.

Enjoy them squirrel and dumplins. I can imagine the taste already.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Doing Good !!!

big rockpile

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Nice pics & congrats on a great hunt! If you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter? My daughter started hunting quail with me when she was 10 & then squirrels & rabbits shortly after that. She killed her first deer when she was 13. She had a natural talent for wing-shooting & became very competitive in trap & skeet. Her 2 brothers were older, but she could kick their butts at trap & skeet & bird hunting. She beat me at skeet when she was 15, & I've only bested her a couple of times since, & that was quite a few yrs ago. I'm very glad to see women & their daughters interested in hunting. Good Luck & be Safe!

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Here in Calif our deer and squirrel season run together. I wish they would move our deer season later but Calif has never been real good at managing their herds.. If they would do like other states such as Colorado does wed have some deer...

8. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Thanks for the nice comments on the photos. My DD is only 8yrs old and she loves to go hunting. She spots the squrriels and I shoot them if can. We later are hopeing to go rabbit hunting when the season opens up. We have all kinds of critters running around here. I'm glad to hear your DD loves to go hunting also. To me it seems to help teach them where food can come from and also teach them what it was like years years ago when not alot of food around like it is today. We sit and watch little house every evening and we tell our DD that is what it was almost like years years ago.

On deer hunting here you can hunt deer now but with bow not rifles yet. So when it get where can use a rifle for deer I hope to goodness to get 2 this year. Right now in our back woods you can see deer everywhere's. Squrriels all over also. Today I looked out my back window looking toward the woods and there was a nice squrriel in yard but I don't want to kill it want to have fun hunting them.. LOL.. :)

May everyone enjoy hunting and be safe. :)