Squirrel Hunting

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by AllWolf, Sep 19, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Do any of you hunters use a .22 air rifle to hunt squirrels with?

I have one and got my scope and all set just now to find the squirrels..

Thanks for any advice you can give. :)

2. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I have hunted squirrles for years using a powerline 880 and BBs as well as a 22 short
    go out early in the morning near a nut tree or oak grove and sit quietly the squirrles wont even notice you . Ive had them within arms reach , they can be a real pain when deer hunting.

3. AllWolf

PyroDon

About what time in the morn?

I have all kinds of nut trees on my land so I hope to get one in a few days. I haven't been hunting in over 15 year so now is time for me to start back

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Around here get out just as its starting to get light until about 9AM.

big rockpile

5. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

If you have a nut tree grove, you can hunt them tree rats all day. I personally bowhunt till around 10am and then head back in and eat then grab the 22 or pellet rifle and head out for an hour or so of relaxing hunting. Sunday morning went out for a walk and was back in cleaning my daily bag limit of 5 within 30 mins. Biggest thing is just find the nuts or the edge of a cornfield, find a tree to sit next to and have fun. They are active all day. And to boot darn good eating.

6. PyroDon

big rockpiles right if your out before the sun comes up your gonna have some good luck . I take a camera to get picks of other wldlife as well .
    You'll know when the squirrels start moving they make nearly as much noise as a covy of quial of flock of turkeys and a lot more than deer .
    you can also get a sqeaker sqirrel call (Ive used Kids sqeeze sqeaker toys before) or just mimiced their calls . males get real nosy if they think another is in there territory.
    Our timber is full of squirrels and other small game though I admit I cheata bit and walk the trails with a broadcast spreader full of hen scratch about twice a month. Guess Im just a lazy hunter but I dont have to spend weeks in the cold during deer or turkey season . also dont spend a lot on camo or fancy scents .
    Ill sometimes hang a dirty shirt in another area of the timber , animals see it moving in the breeze and give it a wide birth basicly moving towards where Iam .

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Air rifles are illegal here but I use a regular 22 rifle. Its more fun to me than using a shotgun. I sometimes use a 22 pistol too

8. AllWolf

Well went out this evening to hunt for a bit and seen 3 deers and then later seen 2 squirrels but couldn't get a shot in. The wind started blowing also and it made it worse. I also took my DD on the trip but where the wind had picked up you couldn't hear a pin drop so guess I try it in the morn earlier.

9. AllWolf

Forgot to ask this question.. I hope this doesn't sound stupid but can you trap squirrels also?

If so what can you use for bait. I have a live trap so at least on my land I can do a few tricks to get meat if can.

Thanks but of course I want to score a few on shooting.

10. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Just go out and find a good spot and sit very still. After a few minutes the squirrels If there are any) will start moving. Remain still and try to locate several. When you shoot one, the others will freeze for a few moments and you may be able to get more than one. my record is six. while you are setting quietly, listen for squirrel sign (barking chucking and growling) and if you don't see any squirrels, move after 30 minutes or so. You can hear them for quite some distance, so just move toward the sounds.
    You can also just creep through the woods and keep your eyes open for movement.
    I got rid of all my scopes. I have just never been any good with a scope. You sight it in and they work fine on the range, but then I miss perfect shots. With iron sights I'm much better. The last straw was last fall, I was trying to "harvest" a chicken with a head shot. I had just sighted in my .22 bolt action the day before. I missed 3 times from a rest. I (In discust) came in and grabbed an old .22 that didn't even have the stock on it, walked out and shot the thing's head off, off hand , from about 35 yards.

11. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I get in the woods just before the sky starts to light up. My preferred weapon is a CVA .32 caliber "squirrel" rifle, I built from a kit nearly 20 years ago.

Let me say this. If squirrels grew as big as deer, I'd never eat any other meat, and I'd never hunt anything but suirrels.

12. PyroDon

Have to agree Im not much for scopes either the only deer Ive missed was with a scope and missed three times at least . of course my family swares I cant hit anything aiming any way but can snap shoot a fly

13. With the price of some of those air guns I would think that they had better be able to kill a squirrel.

Here's an ideal since you are just now learning to hunt. Carry a notepad and pencil with you and write down everything you observe when hunting.

Such as 7:45 a.m., "Got to my hunt area and noticed the squirrels were already running everywhere". "Must come earlier next time". Or, "found cracked nut shells all around this particular hickory tree". "Must be feeding here every morning".

Just keep a list of everything you observed while hunting and study the info periodically and it will make you a hunter.

14. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

but can you trap squirrels also?

Sure can ..

I use a 'hav-a-heart' trap ..
    use a rice cake or a stale english muffin smeared with peanut butter ..
    I hang the bait with a piece of coat hanger ..
    Caught two at once and six in one day with this set up ..

They can't resist it ..

Triff ..

15. AllWolf

Well I was going to hit the woods early this morn but it was to windy and still windy.. Dang I wanted to get a early start to get some squirrel. Now have to wait another day :-(

Triffin I may set up my live soon to catch a few squirrels because where I live there are all kinds of nut trees and I may can put the cage on a grass spot close to the trees and catch one or 2 what you think..

When I put peanut butter on the bread and then put the peanutbutter bread on the tricker you think that be ok?

16. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

I use a piece of coathanger wire shaped
    like a hook ( any small gauge wire will work )
    to suspend the 'bait' just above the 'tripper plate' ..
    The squirrel will stand on the tripper plate when
    nibbling on the bait and usually that's enough to
    spring shut the trap ..

Triff ..

17. PyroDon

sure wish that would work around here
    doesnt matter what ya bait a trap with all ya catch here are wild house cats .

18. AllWolf

Got my first squrriel this evening.. NOw I got a question do any of you have a sight I can go to. To see how to skin squrriel?

OBTW I know where to go and get them little guys tomorrow. I sit right under 3 trees this evening and seen a big red squrriel but didn't get to get him. Maybe tomorrow I will being in 2 and soon have dumplings..MMM

Oh one more question if I freeze squirrel how long is it good for?

Thanks..

19. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Every site that I found that described how to skin a squirrel was one either needing 2 people or one that assures getting more hair on the meat than is left on the skin! At the same time, I went over and over in my mind about how to explain the important part, getting started. Finally found a video that uses the method that I was taught 60 years ago and the one that I've taught to many others. You need Real Player in your computer to see it but it's the best that I can find that shows how to start.
    http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/

That hunter reaches down and strips the front legs and head out of the skin while leaving the "pants" on. Before I do that, I grip the "V" of the belly skin and pull the pants off the hind legs. Then the front legs but not the head. I slice the head off while still in the skin. After a few thousand, it's a snap!

Martin

20. PyroDon

basket ball needle and an air compressor . insert needle under the skin shoot the air to it when its blown up like a ballon remove the needle chop off the feet and head slice down each leg "Y" and pullout the body.