Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened this morning here...lol...

Juvenile arrested for hunting on Hampton Cove greenway, causing school lockdown

Police have arrested a juvenile caught hunting squirrel with a rifle on the Hampton Cove Greenway, causing a panic that led to Hampton Cove middle and elementary schools to be locked down.

Police Sgt. Mark Roberts said a bystander walking on the trail this morning reported seeing a teenage boy with a shotgun on the greenway, which runs adjacent to the schools. Police found the teenager coming out of the woods near the greenway and arrested him, charging him with disorderly conduct, Roberts said.

The report of a person with a gun near the school caused police to ask school officials to lock down both the middle and elementary schools shortly after school opened at about 8:15 a.m.

The schools are back to their normal routines and the students are not in danger, said Keith Ward, city schools spokesman.

Link: http://blog.al.com/breaking/2008/12/juvenile_arrested_for_hunting.html

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
avid hunter here, but you gotta use common sense...in this day in age when school shootings are too common, he should have known better...plus around here you need permission to hunt, unless it's on public area...a school might be public but it's not where you hunt. DUH Why wasn't he in class?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man this is a case of the country meets the city, squarely. The school is located in a subdivision of hundreds of $500,000 and up houses called Hampton Cove, that is smack dab in the middle of rural Owens Cross Roads, AL.

The rich subdivision folks refuse to list their addresses as Owens Cross Roads (which they are). They all use Hampton Cove, AL (which does not exist as a city and has no zip), then the OCR zip code. Owens Cross Roads folks are of modest means, and Hampton Cove made sure to build its own public schools for the rich kids. LOL.

Total over-reaction, if you ask me. The kid was walking with his gun on the commons walkway, a wooded area with a path through it across the street from the school. Charging the kid? C'mon. All they needed to do was call the cops, and have the cop give the kid a talking to. But like I say, when city smacks up agin country, sparks can fly!

Parents were needlessly alarmed, too, as the school system has a way to instant alert by cell phone if such lockdowns happen.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's a "greenway". I don't think it was the school's property.
Just answered it. It is a commons walkway with a path through heavily wooded areas.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,619 Posts
First off his parents should have told him not to be hunting there.I know I use to hunt close to a neighborhood when I was a kid.But it was outside the City limits.

Plus as an adult I would walk around town of 10,000 with a Shotgun,some that didn't know would get all nuts and really freak when the Law wouldn't do anything to me.

Here us living next to Public hunting Land kids at the two schools carry their Guns into the schools and the Teachers make sure they are unloaded and put them up until school is out.Always have done this and there has never been a problem.

big rockpile

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Arent all those Homeland security measures grand

This has nothing to do with "homeland security".
Why do you try to turn EVERY TOPIC into a Bush/Repub/Fed Govt bashing?
There was NO ONE involved other than local police

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Just answered it. It is a commons walkway with a path through heavily wooded areas.
What is a commons walkway? Is it a legal area to hunt, and did he kid have permissin to hunt it? IMO, the story lacks enough detail for anyone here to start crying foul.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
This has nothing to do with "homeland security".
Why do you try to turn EVERY TOPIC into a Bush/Repub/Fed Govt bashing?
There was NO ONE involved other than local police
school lock downs and arresting children has everything to do with homeland security .
This kid was simply lucky. the officer could have charged him with a felony of having a firearm within 500 ft of school grounds (yes I know full well that was passed under Clinton) I also know full well that since 2001 no less than 6 children (16 and under ) have been charged with felonies under homeland security guidelines and convicted. 2 for having hunting rifles locked in the trunk of their car and others for having bullets or firecrackers locked in their cars.
their crime was parking on school grounds to attend classes .
BTW while Bush begged for HLS Unlike yourself I also hold those who passed it in congress responsible .

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
OMG....the same thing happened in the City I use to work at. A kid was running around trying to kill squirrels with a BB gun and the whole block was baracaded and the SWAT team was out. But you never know, that 12 yr old kid (he looked much older!) could have been a 18 yo crazy man going on a killing spree. It is really sad that the world has come to this.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
school lock downs and arresting children has everything to do with homeland security .
This kid was simply lucky. the officer could have charged him with a felony of having a firearm within 500 ft of school grounds (yes I know full well that was passed under Clinton) I also know full well that since 2001 no less than 6 children (16 and under ) have been charged with felonies under homeland security guidelines and convicted. 2 for having hunting rifles locked in the trunk of their car and others for having bullets or firecrackers locked in their cars.
their crime was parking on school grounds to attend classes .
BTW while Bush begged for HLS Unlike yourself I also hold those who passed it in congress responsible .
Same old tune and still no truth. And were you there with a tape measure? There's nothing in the story about HOW near he was to the school

Youre ( purposely) confusing STATE LAWS with FEDERAL LAWS just so you can blame it on Bush

Feel free to show evidence of any of those FEDERAL convictions though, and I'll admit youre right.
I'm betting you won't though

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Same old tune and still no truth. And were you there with a tape measure? There's nothing in the story about HOW near he was to the school

Youre ( purposely) confusing STATE LAWS with FEDERAL LAWS just so you can blame it on Bush

Feel free to show evidence of any of those FEDERAL convictions though, and I'll admit youre right.
I'm betting you won't though
Its amazing the lengths you will go to just to defend your party.
the 500 ft law is federal as a gun hobbiest you should know it well , especially since it was passed under clinton , Im not the least bit surprised you'd deny the ramifications of GW HLS

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Its amazing the lengths you will go to just to defend your party.
the 500 ft law is federal as a gun hobbiest you should know it well , especially since it was passed under clinton , Im not the least bit surprised you'd deny the ramifications of GW HLS
I guess this means you dont have anything to back your claims about the kids arrested because of "homeland security guidelines"

And that law was declared unconstitutional shortly after Clinton signed it.

Maybe you can find a way to blame Bush for that too.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Didn't they do a movie about this sort of thing? Yea, it was called "Dumb and Dumber".

A person's got to work pretty hard these days to not know you shouldn't go hunting near a school. A somewhat understandable reaction by the school to reports of someone nearby armed with a long gun. And a rather calm reaction by the arresting officer.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Barfootfarm,

In Oggiese...

The kid used to get more candy for his money under Clinton. Under the Bush admin, the value of the dollar has dropped 25% in the last two years. Clearly, the kid is upset by the poor economy Bush is responsible for. He has taken to blowing away squirrels as a way of venting his frustration.

RF

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Barfootfarm,

In Oggiese...

The kid used to get more candy for his money under Clinton. Under the Bush admin, the value of the dollar has dropped 25% in the last two years. Clearly, the kid is upset by the poor economy Bush is responsible for. He has taken to blowing away squirrels as a way of venting his frustration.

RF

LOL!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh Lord, save me from people on both sides who have to make everything a national political debate! Thank you, Lord.

The kid was hunting outside any city limits, but apparently close enough to the lil rich kids at the school to cause an alarm in what is the most paranoid area I have ever lived in. (I know someone who was taking pictures at a public park here -- he is a professional photog -- and he was detained by police because parents were afraid he was taking pix of their kids.)

Story today says the cops got him on disorderly conduct for carrying a gun that close to the school. It was the cops' order that closed down the school.

So in other weords, because the kid's behavior caused them to have to come out and ask him what he was doing, they charged him with disorderly conduct. My "reality check" feeling is, once the fuss dies down, they'll drop the charges.

A commons is a huge wooded area kept that way intentionally by developers around the fancy subdividion houses as a natural barrier so they won't have to mix with any of the ******* natives. All that is well known locally, and hunting there is no biggie, usually.

Big Rockpile, I wanna move where you live. Sounds like folks there have a lick of sense.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I live outside city limits, in fact Im in an un-incorporated area. Weirdly enough we have schools here too. Maybe I should go hunting rabbits next to the school & then play dumb when the police get involved, because even though there are rabbits for 800 square miles or more, I could only find them somewhere near a school, rich or poor.
Some people wonder why some other people want gun control laws. And if that kinda stuff keeps up, we all will probably get them.
Hunt while you can, maybe wild life just hangs out around schools, Sheesh

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live outside city limits, in fact Im in an un-incorporated area. Weirdly enough we have schools here too. Maybe I should go hunting rabbits next to the school & then play dumb when the police get involved, because even though there are rabbits for 800 square miles or more, I could only find them somewhere near a school, rich or poor.
Some people wonder why some other people want gun control laws. And if that kinda stuff keeps up, we all will probably get them.
Hunt while you can, maybe wild life just hangs out around schools, Sheesh
He was not hunting near the school. He was carrying his gun, across the two-lane highway from the school, en route to or from hunting. He was hunting squirrels, for the record. Thanks for playing. Sheesh.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts