squirrel heads?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sylvia, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Hey..... I'm still waiting for someone to offer to come to my neighborhood and clean out the squirrel population in exchange for free room and board! They are fat and sassy -- doesn't that tempt anyone? Sylvia :haha:

2. Bigfinn

Bigfinn Member

That is tempting, however the comute to PA would be a killer! :eek:

3. So why don't you thin them out some yourself? Squirrel happen to be a very delicious sweet tasting meat and a lot healthier then the beef, chicken, fish, or pork that you buy at the grocery store.

4. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

We trapped and relocated over 60 this past summer and fall. If anyone is nearby and would like some, there's plenty more to be had!!

5. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I could send you my newest barn cat. She's cleaned out the mouse population and is now on squirrel patrol. Just yesterday morning she drug a squirrel as big as she is back to the house.

I am so proud. Makes me happy when they actually 'earn' their keep! :D Not that the lazy ones are suffering any.

6. inc

inc Well-Known Member

i will eat them all- mail them to me.

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

EEWW....really?? Seems u all gots bigger ones than we do hardly seems worth the work to clean em. Ok I am going to ask the big question.....how do you eat them things?

8. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I still remember growing up with my paw hunting squirrel. We kids used to fight over who got the brains. That was considered the delicacy of the meal.
    They stewed and fried squirrels. Haven't had any in several years now. Someone brought me a few couple of years ago. Teenagers were out for the night so I got them to cooking. Next day for lunch we had stew. My oldest dd had 4 bowls before I told her what she was eating. It was good till she found out then she kinda lost her appetite. :confused:

9. If they are less than a year old they go in the frying pan and cook just like chicken. If older, then you will need to stew them for a while as they are very tuff. We stew them for a while till tender and then add dumplins. Yum-yum.

10. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

Here's the BEST squirrel recipe EVER,.... just tried it the other night for the first time. It is INCREDIBLE.

1 or 2 squirrels, cut into pieces.
    1-1/2 T butter
    1/8 cup olive oil
    salt, pepper
    1 large garlic clove, chopped
    1 t fresh rosemary (or 1/2 t dry)
    1/2 cup white wine
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1 T coarsely chopped parsley
    1 cup sliced mushrooms

Saute squirrels in butter and olive oil, on medium until lightly browned. Add wine, chick broth, garlic, rosemary, and salt/pepper. Simmer on low until liquid is reduced quite a bit (at least one hour). Turn heat back to medium and add mushrooms and parsley for 5 minutes. The meat just falls off the bone, and is delicious,.. ENJOY

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Squirrels have a form a BSE (mad cow disease). People have gotten CJD from eating infected brains.

12. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

GAG!!! I still could not do it.....LOL

13. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried raising squirrel? I'm always looking for different types of meat source to raise (freak I guess) and have had thoughts of raising them. I can't remember ever hearing of a place to buy breeding stock, so I'd have to catch some. Wonder what kind of cage and feed they would need.....probably some kind of law against it though.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

I can't get them with stones, too squeamish to trap and drown them, don't have a BB gun (the kids use them to blow out people's car windows while the owners are sitting in them!) a real gun would probably start a turf war with the drug dealers across the street from me, the feral cats don't care. Oh Well!

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

All sorts of quiet ways to kill squirrels in town. Traps of course but some of the more sporting methods are slingshots and blowguns. You can also keep a pellet gun quite quiet if you open a window and shoot from inside the house. I had a buddy that was plagued with an overabundance of rabbits at his place in town. His neighbors would call the cops if they heard him outside with a pellet gun so we found that we could shoot from inside and it would be nearly silent outside. We got to be quite the urban anti-rabbit sniper team with one doing spotting and the other taking the shot. You really couldn't hear anything outside except the pellet splitting the rabbit's skull.

I ave heard about people getting a variant of CJD from squirrel brains. Apparently it is quite the delicacy when cooked with scrambled eggs. I stay away from organ meats as a general rule. I feed the kidneys, hearts and livers to the dogs.