Squeeezing Ten Acres

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cabe, Mar 7, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

I used to have Christmas tree farm. It now is growing up into Locust, Poplar, and briars. I have always wanted to really put it to some sort of farming venture besides Christmas trees, so wildlife can enjoy better.We planted several hundred Black Walnut, and I am harvesting White Oak acorns, and Hickory to establish 5 acres of these. We are planting much Ginseng under the large Poplars, and I am trimming locust for good fencing saplings later. I am trying to start Ramps growing from seed and have had some sucess. I want to attract tourists here, and let them sample Mountain Fare, like blackberry cobbler, fried potatoes and wild ramps. We also are going to start Mushrooms, and rasberries, and I want to get into heritage apples(we live near large campground).I is an ambitious project, but in one form or another I love growing trees , and native plants. If anyone has ideas about good (Western N.C., MOUNTAINS)new and unique woods crops, please let me know. Only legal things O.K., Marty.

2. Neville Aponte

Neville Aponte Active Member

It would be nice to plant a small grove of some of the hybridized american chestnuts. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the appalachian mountains used to be chestnut forest until the blight wiped them out in the early part of the 1900s. Wildlife and people both used to thrive on the nuts.

3. Neville Aponte

Neville Aponte Active Member

You may already know about this web site, but its a good one. I've bought various seedlings over the years from them. Virginia also has a good seedling collection and some different species.

http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i live on the other side of those mountains. it has always been hard to make a living off of these mountains. shiitake mushrooms are something i've been looking into. i'm into the very early stages of a greenhouse here. asheville area has more and more folks who are getting intersted in landscaping with only natives. developing a permaculture is also a growing field

NA- it wasn't only the blight that wiped out the chestnuts. when the blight started, the loggers got panicky and cut them all down trying to get them before the blight did. problem is- there are always a percentage that survive a blight, and pass that resistance down to future generations of tree. they died out completely because even those that would have been resistant were cut as well. i'm not sure we have learned a lesson from this.

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Good source for old-fashioned apple trees: www.theapplebranch.com.

This is a nursery run by a friend of mine, so yes, I am putting in a plug for his business! :D

P.S. What the heck are 'ramps'? :confused: