Squatters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by motivated, Aug 10, 2005.

1. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Just wondering if any of you have problems with squatters. We cant seem to get rid of a couple and their trailer and dog. Recently the sherrif arrested one of them that had a warrant out for burglary.I know that they do not have permission from the property owner. I am worried because our fire danger in this area is high and they cook out.

2. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I think the property owner is the one who must pursue it and it can be really hard to get rid of squatters depending on your state's laws. Can you contact the landowner and offer to help (reporting them when spotted, etc.)?

Squatters or not, they don't sound like the kind of neighbors anyone would like to have. One was arrested for burglary? Keep your doors locked and your dog on patrol.

Depending on how close they are to you, maybe there's some way you can annoy them away? Be careful, though - you don't want them to get too mad at you. Maybe someone here will have a good suggestion that is not too dangerous or confrontational.

/VM

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Here our law enforcement wont remove squatters from someones empty home even if the landowner reports it,they call it a civil matter,can you believe that???? Needless to say,we get scuzball criminals trashing innocent folks' property,that stinks!

BooBoo

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Document. Document, document, document. If it is a civil matter (eviction for non-payment or theft of services) your neighbor will need documentation to prove they are living there illegally.

Bummer though. I hate getting rid of this kind of person because basically, they have nothing to lose. They can afford to be impossibly obnoxious. And worse, they often have some sort of political adjenda or ax to grind... and they're going to do it in your yard. I'll never forget my husband's reaction when he found one of them had defecated in our water supply... fortunately, the man had enough self-preservation instinct to vacate the area after he'd pulled that stunt, because DNA testing runs about $35. And if we'd linked him to that waste... oh my...

5. motivated

You are correct on this Boo. The local sheriff responded to my call and acted like they knew nothing about it. When I figured out who the landowner was he thanked me for bugging the sheriff! He said that they were not helping him get the creeps outta there!He had called them several times.
    And I am still trying to access the head honcho at TP station. Seems he is unavailable to the public. But I am gonna get them on code enforcement violations.
    What a hassle- hope we dont all have to evacuate because these idiots are cooking out.

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

How come they just can't be charged with trespassing?

7. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Photographs, videotapes, audiotapes . . . of fire use and anything else you can document with them. Maybe a fire marshall or local fire service could put some fear in them. Where do they get utilities from? Do the utilities know they are just squatting and going to take off without paying the bills when they finally leave? Might get pretty hot/cold and inconvenient if the utilities were turned off? Wonder if the utilities are still in the neighbor's name? He could have them turned off.

Isn't "trespassing" a crime of some sort in that area -- not necessarily "civil"?

Haven't you always wanted to raise about 50 to 100 hogs down on your piece of land right next to them (stinky/noisy)?? Or how about guinea fowl (really noisy)? Or chickens (crowing at 3:00 AM?!!)? Something to "annoy" them outta there!

Maybe a local TV station would like to do a nice news story on the squatter lifestyle and broadcast their names and faces all over the local TV?! hehe

Also, if they can just "squat" on that property, what would happen if you (or someone else) just decided to go "squat" with them? Or the neighbor rented it to you for some purpose or other -- specifically a purpose that would make it impossible for someone else to live there (like dangerous animals (bulls?), etc.).

Maybe contacting a lawyer wouldn't hurt either- just to review what all the options might be. Good luck!

MaryNY

8. mightybooboo

I would sure like to know the answer to that too,but they wont touch em here.

BooBoo

9. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Our sheriffs take this seriously because of the meth lab problems here in rural areas. People with farms in rural areas are asked to walk their property and report suspicious activity.

10. shellbug

shellbug Well-Known Member

get up in the middle of the night and help your neighbor quietly "fence them in" - a few strands of barbed wire or better yet a bit of electric fence might convince them that they are in for a difficult time - or have a truck load of boulders dumped across whatever access they are using - or start a "timber harvest" right up against their campsite - maybe 1/2 dozen crazy guys with chainsaws can run 'em out!!!

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

In the state of Liberty and Freedom I create.
    Are these squatters living on the land in a travel trailer they pulled there with a vehicle? Are they living in the neighbor's home? Is this a rural property or a suburban one? How long have they been there? Why are they there?

If someone trespasses on someone's land here and sets up camp, they generally get a rude welcome from the property owner. Quite often the squatter gets several rounds of buckshot fired in their direction or find themselves at gunpoint.

Those that leave their items unattended return to find them confiscated by the landowner.

Angry squatters meet their match with a calm, but determined landowner giving them a choice of leaving under their own power or becoming scavenger food.

However, this is a pretty sparsely populated rural area here with a pretty useless sheriff department.

12. dale

dale Well-Known Member

well I am the Mayor of this little town and you said you have a hard time getting someone to return your phone calls or being availble when you call.

I am just a everyday person and nothing special.. however i have a title and when I call people at business or what ever in other towns or the Proscuting Attorney they used to not take my calls but with my title and they dont know me from adam..
    But with this title of Mayor so and so I get thru to most everyone I want to talk to..

So make yourself up a title and call them back... Hello Im Repersentive so and so.. you are repersenting your self.

dale

13. motivated

They are squatting without permission on a neighbors empty lot. In a camper that they towed in with a car. The cars are gone and the camper was left behind. The sheriff said they had mice in cages inside of it. Yesterday someone was there the windows were open, I have to admit I thought about tossing a rock down on the roof but I decided to just call and complain to the sheriff again. Waste of time they don't give a darn. The property owner is kinda afraid to confront and has asked them to leave several times. He said they had been there almost 2 months and the sheriff told him he would have to go through an eviction type situation. I thought about just calling a tow yard and get it impounded.I caused a scene by insisting on talking to the captain and hubby and I are going there in the morning.The owner had a gate and they broke it and the lock. I am appalled that the sheriff dept. is coddling them and mad at me for insisting they be removed! Boo you know what I mean up here!! I guess I never thought that the sheriff dept. was not looking out for law abiding citizens how naive of me.

14. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

The way the laws are enforced in CA, it is very hard to get squatters removed. It took us over 9 months and $5,000 in legal and police fees, to get one off our property, and then the judge almost threw it out so we would have to start over because we were missing one form, and this was without the squatter contesting! We could not even get the Sherriff to enter the building the jerk had occupied even though you could smell the reek of the crop he was drying in the house and could tell it was a sufficient quantity to constitute a fellony, and the fact that there were crystal particles everywhere that made it look like he was doing some heavier manufacturing as well. It turned out he was actually crushing crystaline rocks to sell to his friends to cut their stuff with to rip off the marks, but that is beside the point.

There is a whole community of squatters about 40 miles from us on public land that the authorities will not even attempt to get off, but have to protect from every forrest fire they start.

15. mightybooboo

Hey,Capt. works for us,he better listen.Time to write a letter to the Courier News,wouldnt be surprised if they printed it,they sure havent coddled the school over that evil troubled kid thing. :grump:

The yokels trashed a house in our neighborhood,left a few HUNDRED dead tires in the yard.Owner had to pay for it all.Bad part was,he wouldnt rent it to my stepson because his credit wasnt good enough,and we were going to co-sign,he still thought he was a risk.Squatters then moved in and trashed it.

Instant Karma :nana: ,as I was a bit ticked at the time and took it as a personal affront,though we found them a better house anyhow.

In Sherrifs defense,they respond quickly in an emergency.I think we have good deputies.
    But they are useless on property crimes.
    That just isnt right they wont move em out! :flame:

BooBoo

16. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

12 GA. Pretty much solves any and all problems, Ya, personal experience similiar to yours. ( the first shot is pretty convincing when fired off over the heads of those who tresspass)..................but thats just me, do what you think is right

17. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Well, back in the late 1800s or so there were a bunch of gypsies squatting up the road. My great (4 greats) grandfather started noticing stuff coming up missing and so did the other neighbors around. The squatters were basically stealing everyone blind. Some other shenanigans went on and the squatters tried to make off in the night with the stolen property including some cows and a horse or two. The farmers formed a posse and chased 'em down. They caught them and retrieved much of the stolen property. They ended up shooting a couple of them and then stringing a couple more up. Then just to get the point across they burned their wagons for good measure.

Never had squatters since.

They didn't screw around back then. Criminals got dealt with.

18. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't shoot a gun at them, wouldn't that be considered attempted murder?

I didn't realize how tough it was to get squatter off your land. :eek:

19. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:hand: If you have nothing worth anything then a gun wont get you in trouble.But if you do and may anywise a LAWYER is waiting just wringing his hands.Even poor squaters have rights from people shooting at them and most know the law very well,legal aid is free to low income people.You very well could wake up in the tent and them in your home driving your new truck.

20. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

This is going somewhere, (down the tubes if you ask me) when people can just set up camp on someone's land and get away with it.
    We use to live in a 4 family in the downtown area of a small city. There were always drunks and druggies on the street. Bad neighborhood. But our landlords were very nice people.
    We lived on the first floor apartment on one side. Another couple lived on the opposite side of us, and then there were two apartments upstairs. One of the apartments extending to the third floor. That big apartment a woman with her boyfriend and two sons lived there. The oldest son a real punk gave two friends permission to live in the basement. We didn't know, except I use to keep smelling cig. smoke and it bothers me because of my asthma. Anyway, the old woman who lived next door kept seeing people coming and going from the basement and she told me. She felt bad because she didn't want to cause trouble. But I thanked her over and over. I called the landlord, and she promptly came down and called the police. The police went in and confiscated their backpacks(she gave the police permission to take them) and they searched it and found drug paraphenalia in it. The two people who were living down there were found, as the cops knew who they were and told them that if they were found in there again they would be arrested. The cops in this town were very very tough!