Squash

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Apr 11, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Will Winter Squash cross pollinate? If it will how far away would I have to plant to keep this from happening?

big rockpile

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yes, it will cross. i can only guess how far- 1/2 acre? won't matter if you are not saving seed tho. about separating them- you can grow them near each other as long as the plants have different bloom times. if they are not blooming, they cannot cross.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well thats it I'm wanting to save seed.I might have to decide what stores the best,has good flavor,and stick with it.

big rockpile

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Not sure how long your growing season is but could you plant one variety early and then the other variety later? That way you could save seed from each and not worry about crossing.

5. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

If you want to save seed, just clip a male & a female flower shut just before they open, hand pollinate them early the next morning, clip the female closed again, & mark that as the fruit you'll plant seed from next year. Some species cross more than others - are they all the same thing, or do you have c. pepo, c. maxima, or c. moschata?

6. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I heard that C. pepo will not cross with any of the others. Is that correct?

7. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

BR,have a look at seedsave.org.Lots of good info there.

8. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Shahbazin, What do you use to close up the flowers without damaging/killing the flower petals? Maybe just tie it with a soft yarn/twine? Rita

9. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    You don't have to worry about damaging the petals, they just wither up anyways. Use masking tape at the tip of the flower to keep it shut, like Shahbazin said. You tear it off to open the flower to pollinate it, then tape it shut again. The seed in that fruit are now pure and will come-true when planted. Alternatively, cage the plant with screened box cages, like those used by Seed Savers Exchange in Iowa. That keeps pollinizing insects away. Planting squash a distance apart doesn't really work, because bees will fly for miles with pollen on their bodies.

10. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;There are 4 common Species of Winter Squash,C.Pepo,C.Maxima,C.Moschata and C.Mixta.All four have different #'s of chromosomes and will not cross with one another.Multiple varieties within each species will cross.If you grow 1 each of the 4 species within a garden you don't have to worry about cross pollination.-

11. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks--that's the kind of information I wanted.