Squash vine borers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hovey Hollow, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Anyone have any treatment for squash vine borers? They've taken down my zuchinni, and are now moving on to the yellow squash. I've replanted zuchinni but I'm afraid it may be futile. I was trying to be organic, but I'm not opposed to trying some chemicals if I have to. (IE I'm not a die hard organic gardener.)
    Thanks in advance for any solutions!!

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

What have you tried to do so far? I've never had to deal with them, but what sounds like the best solution to me is to keep a sharp eye out for the holes that they leave (with the drilling debris under the hole). Then cut into the vine (cut along the vine) around the hole and kill the borer. Then bury the cut portion of the vine in soil. The cut should heal and new roots come out from the buried portion of the vine.

3. Hovey Hollow

I didn't know what was the matter at first before the zuchinni was dead. The yellow squash is younger (about pencil thickness) and by the time I see any signs it is dead.

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Sevin dust is usually recommended for squash vine borers. It has to be applied before they enter the stems. It is 5% carbaryl. The same stuff sold as flea powder for cats and dogs. So if you have that don't go out and buy more. If they are in the vine then you make a slit from the hole until you locate the grub, and hopefully they haven't traveled too far. On the upside summer squash grows really fast and if you are farther south than New York, or North Dakota, then you should still be able to get a new crop in. Apply the dust before they get in.

5. Hovey Hollow

Good, I just put in 6 new plants yesterday. I will go coat them with Sevin as soon as I get home. Hopefully I will get home before the squash vine borers find the new plants!!!