squash vine borers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by marvella, Apr 24, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

did a search and didn't come up with anything...

now that i am getting ready to plant squash and zukes, i'd like to find a way to prevent the borers from killing my plants. they bloom like mad, produce a bunch of flowers, begin to ripen squash, then go out one day and they are all dead. we have had a heavy infestation in the area for about the last ten years or so. eveyone i know has the same thing happen. can't hardly get a crop anymore.

i thought i'd seen something that involved hot pepper and other stuff in a ring around the new plants.

does anyone have any clue what i am looking for?? organic only please....

TIA!!!

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Plant radishes all around the squash! I would buy cheap radish seeds and spread them thick. Let the radish grow and "go to seed". I forget why this worked, but it did!

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I'm lucky enough to not have to deal with them here, but I've read that you should inspect the stems frequently. When you find a hole with some "stem dust" below it, you can cut or poke into the vine to kill the borer. Then bury that portion of stem so that new roots will form around the cut area.

And, of course, solid-stem vines like butternut (c. moschata) won't be attacked by the borers.

4. marvella

thanks y'all! i did see both of those solutions during a search.

someone on here posted something back in the winter that talked about mixing something with hot peppers, and putting a ring of it around the plant.

it always seemed to me very labor intensive to inspect each inch of each plant. they also get my winter squash, that never get to the point of blooming before they are decimated. there seems to be an epidemic of it here. hardly anyone is getting a decent crop any more.

if worse come to worse, i'll try that radish thing ardie. i kind of hate radishes tho.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

At least the svbs just come at one time. I plant some cucumbers and squash every week and hope to have at least some. Also, I 'm planting butternut and cushaw squash because their vines are harder.

6. marvella

i found some info online. i'll start antoher thread.