SQUASH VINE BORERS - ARGH! (rant)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ardie/WI, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

My friend, next year go to the store and buy the cheapest radish seed you can find. Plant them thickly all around the squash and let them go to seed. They're ugly but they seem to repel those disgusting bugs.

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Actually, I think radish plants gone to seed are kinda pretty -- in an outer-space, quirky kind of way.

Squash vine borers, OTOH, are disgusting.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will follow it for sure.

Looks like I was too late to save the second plant as well. It's pretty wilted right now. :(

Oh, well. In gardening, like in Cubs baseball, there's always next year.

Pony!

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Man, They hit me today. I didn't go out to the garden last night and today I go out and one of my zuchinni plants is CHEWED IN HALF! I went on a Freakin' rampage. I went and got a razor blade and searched every vine in the garden slicing and dicing every nasty little grub I found.

I feel better now.

:)

Shane

4. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Thank you Ardie:

If you are not organic purists, a bottle of THIODAN insecticide is cheap preventive and lasts for years for the ordinary gardener. I use it on summer squash or I get no squash.

When the squash vines send out runners and begin to flower (when you see the first flowers) mix the thiodan according to directions and spray the vine runners from about a yard out back to the root. I usually get good control spraying again about 45 days later---I try to keep the vines productive until far up in the summer. I don't bother spraying anything other than the runners and stem.

Thiodan seems to have a good residual but has a very short withdrawal for use of the fruit. Best I recall you can spray some veggies and pick them the same day, but I only use it on squash.
    Ox