Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
plains of Colorado
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have these white squash...I think called scallop or patty pan. (We didn't plant them...just grew.) We used quite a few to make "mock apple pie & crisp" and they were excellent. I left some on the vine but still watering. I went oput and picked some yesterday and the outside is hard & thick. The previous ones I just peeled... very easy. I did find enough small ones to still make my pie but the others got tossed in the field. Did they cross w/ something else? Leave on the vine too long? Any ideas about this? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
On the vine too long. As the season gets later, they seem to mature faster.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
They ripened. First ones you picked were juvenile - unripe - still tender. Now they've ripened - mature rind - probably mature seeds too. You can still eat the flesh, you might be able to eat the skin as well after cooking, but you ARE dealing with mature fruit now.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
You can still peel them, but it is hardly worth it since you will prob get bunches more. But the seeds are real tasty.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yep on vine too long. If you want soft ones pick when size little larger than Softball. I leave mine on beign we are a family of 6 and they store bette when mature.
The larger ones we cut up skins and all and fry with onions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We "let" some of our white pattys grow to dinner plate size. We've been cutting a lid out (like a pumpkin), scooping the guts out and mixing with the usual kind of stuffed squash filling, then baking. The white container looks snazzy and the squash is a really tender baker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts