Squash question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DW, Sep 19, 2004.

1. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We have these white squash...I think called scallop or patty pan. (We didn't plant them...just grew.) We used quite a few to make "mock apple pie & crisp" and they were excellent. I left some on the vine but still watering. I went oput and picked some yesterday and the outside is hard & thick. The previous ones I just peeled... very easy. I did find enough small ones to still make my pie but the others got tossed in the field. Did they cross w/ something else? Leave on the vine too long? Any ideas about this? Thanks!!!

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

On the vine too long. As the season gets later, they seem to mature faster.

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

They ripened. First ones you picked were juvenile - unripe - still tender. Now they've ripened - mature rind - probably mature seeds too. You can still eat the flesh, you might be able to eat the skin as well after cooking, but you ARE dealing with mature fruit now.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You can still peel them, but it is hardly worth it since you will prob get bunches more. But the seeds are real tasty.

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We ate some rather large squash. DH steamed them and they were fine. He didn't peel them though.

6. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Yep on vine too long. If you want soft ones pick when size little larger than Softball. I leave mine on beign we are a family of 6 and they store bette when mature.
    The larger ones we cut up skins and all and fry with onions.

7. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

We "let" some of our white pattys grow to dinner plate size. We've been cutting a lid out (like a pumpkin), scooping the guts out and mixing with the usual kind of stuffed squash filling, then baking. The white container looks snazzy and the squash is a really tender baker.