Squash are difficult this year

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Oggie, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Perhaps because I didn't like them when I was young and thought too many evil thoughts about them, squash refuse to grow this year.

Most years I have more than I can use. This year they are growing slow and now the squash bugs have descended and the plants' days are probably numbered.

We had a cool, wet spring in central Oklahoma and the seeds were slow to germinate. Now that it is hot, will new seeds sprout if I just start over?

Do you folks have any tips for growing summer squash?

Thanks!

2. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh if you were ONLY closer. This year the crook neck, straight, and zuccinni are running me over. I have never had such a great year for squash. I don't know what we did right lol or I would tell you. The garden has just been so productive this year in everything. Seriously I don't want to make you feel bad. I do know that DH (really partner) did ALOT of prep work on the soil. Added peat moss/fretilzer/etc. He did more prep work this year then in the past. I guess it is paying off for us.

3. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

The beds have lots of compost mixed in. Other years we've had a lot of squash. This year they didn't grow. Tomatoes and cucumbers are going great guns and we had lots of greens earlier. But no squash yet.

4. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

The one thing I can't brag on is the tomatos because they sure seem slow this year. I never even think about them though because I am not a big fan of tomatos.

5. poppy

poppy Guest

Tomatoes are slow in this part of Illinois too. Nights were too cool early for them to set on. The plants look great and the Brandywines aretaller than I am ( 6 feet ). The warm weather has finally helped and I counted 22 tomatoes on one plant earlier this evening. I have 52 plants out, so we should have plenty. :) No one here has ripe ones yet, and they are usually ripe by July 4th.