SQ or IM

Discussion in 'Goats' started by FarmerCop, Jul 19, 2006.

1. FarmerCop

FarmerCop Well-Known Member

I was hoping some of you might help me I am getting ready to band and I have the pennicilan and the tetanus, but the tetanus says give IM, should I do SQ injection any way or just tough it out and go IM?

furthermore there were no dosages listed for them either so I was wondering how much to give to the little guys they are approx. four months old plus or minus and weigh about 30 to 40 lbs

any help is appreciated thanks

2. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

On the Pen I was told 1cc per 25 pounds, I don't know about the tetnus.

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Tetanus is 2ml IM or subQ, the Pennicilin should be given IM, but it WILL BURN and the animal will not like it. YOU MUST DOSE PEN BY THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE!!! YOu can not dose all meds the same. all meds are in different concentrations!!!My pennicilin is 300,000 units per ml and I dose 1ml/100lbs
    However, I do not use penicilin to band. Just give tetanus vaccine, wait two weeks, revaccinate and band. The pen will reak havoc with their digestive tract and is not necessary unless they have an infection.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've never heard of giving an antibiotic to band. I think it's overkill. My vet who is a ruminant expert also says a recent CD&T will protect fine for banding and disbudding. However, if you have horses I would recommend a tetanus for banding, as that organism hangs around in manure.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I never give antibiotics to band. According to my vet, you can give pennicillin subQ. In fact, he just saw one of my doelings today for an infection and said to give the shot subQ.

6. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

subQ antibiotics are fine, they just reach the infection slower than IM, so makers of pen usually sugest it be given IM.