Sptember 2017 Tightwad Tips and Thrifty Hacks.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Grandmotherbear, Sep 1, 2017.

1. alida

alida Well-Known Member Supporter

I love kale but never thought to try freezing it! Mine didn't grow at all this year (again) but it's very cheap ($1) at the farmers markets now so I'm going to try doing so. I do buy it chopped and frozen in a bag from time to time in the winter knowing that I'll eat it all that way, while a bunch of fresh kale costing $3.49 won't get finished in time. Do you use the ice bath after blanching?

kinnb, pixiedoodle and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  2. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

Romy has thread in forums under arts and crafts I believe.

pixiedoodle likes this.

3. City Bound

City Bound Male Supporter

I do not use the ice bath method because I do such large batches that the ice melts too quick and is a hassle. What I do is put them right into a large bowl of cold water and then run the cold tap on strong but not splashing into the bowl until the greens cool down. You have to hold the greens down in some way. What happens is that I let the water flow over the edge of the bowl so that the hot water is pushed out and replaced with the cold water. It wastes a little water but it is the only way I am going to get it done. Squeeze as much water out as you can before you bag them.

You want it diced or cut in strings, then do so before you blanch it, then cool it down and press it into balls according to your serving size.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. alida

thank you City Bound. I'm going to give this a try on Thursday evening . I have a chest freezer with room in it so I'll try laying some out on a cookie sheet to freeze loosely, and try the rest you way (bang the nearly frozen bag to loosen the leaves.)

5. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

IMO the very first step to managing your $ is to Know where it went and where it's going.

Tracking and budgeting.

I budget using YNAB ( youneedabudget.com) every payday I assign every newly deposited dollar into a spending category in my budget.

Then I stick to my budget. If I only have $50 in my " eating out" category , than I can only spend $50.

YNAB allows me to see reports that show me what I spent in any given category for the year. So if I see I spent $600 on auto maintenance last year, I can save $50 a mo the to that category and whenever I have an auto expense ( like oil change, wipers etc) I can dip into that money. Or if I know I will spend about $600 on various holidays and bday gifts I can do the same thing. Or Xmas. Or clothes or anything really. I have several of these "sinking funds" ( per Dave Ramsey)

I follow Dave Ramsey's baby steps and we are currently in baby step 2 with about $8k left to be debt free , except the mortgage.

Other important things to keep you on budget are,

Meal planning
    Food prepping
    Using cloth instead of paper anything ( though I draw the line at TP)
    Making your own cleaning supplies

From elsewhere on the web ive seen this saying and I love it.

" Use it up, wear it out, make it do , or do without"

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

Oh and I'm learning to sew so I can mend and repurpose old clothes as part of the "make it do" of the saying.

Last night I made a curtain for my laundry room window from and old fitted sheet that had a hole wore in it.

I figure I saved at least $10.

7. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

YESTERDAY I COOKED DOWN OUR EXCESS TOMS & TURNED THEM ALL INTO 7 PINTS OF DELISH NO SODIUM TOM JUICE TO ENJOY THIS WINTER. TODAY I COOKED DOWN ANOTHER SMALLER BATCH & TOM. I WILL CAN IT TOO MAY ONLY GET 4 PINTS BUT THAT'S OK. HAD LOTS OF TOMS WITH BAD SPOTS & GETTING TOO RIPE SO CUT THEM UP & RAN THEM THRU THE NINJA, SKINS & ALL. RAN THEM THRU THE CONE SEIVE TO REMOVE ANY SEEDS OR DIBRIS & THEN COOKED IT DOWN ABOUT AN HOUR PLUS. I'LL CAN IT UP TOM IN THE SMALL WB CANNER. HOPE TO HAVE ENOUGH BY THE END OF TOM SEASON TO GET ME THRU THE WINTER & INTO TOM GROWING TIME NEXT SUMMER.

kinnb and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  8. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

I often don't think of this but is probably one of our best money saving things. We do our grocery runs every other week and don't go anywhere in between unless one of us has a doctor appointment. So that's 13 days in a row that we always stay home. The way I see it - if you go somewhere you are spending money. Not only on fuel but it seems most people can't resist the mini-marts and fast food places. I do treat myself to a Wendy's chili when we do our runs - $2.85 for lunch (always bring my own water).

I figure it costs me $11 just to get to town and back for fuel.

MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.
  9. City Bound

Also, going every other week makes it special and it also makes you plan ahead, manage resources better, and not waste. All around good.

I try to stock up for the winter so I do not have to go out in the snow. Noodles, canned food, freeze meat, make pickled eggs. It helps when I am snowed in.

Cheap way to get entertainment: Went to a flea market and there were tons of dvds and they were buck or 50 cents. Good dvds, ones worth watching and keeping. I stock them up and then when we get bored and want to watch a movie, or go out to a movie and we cant afford it, we go look in the movie cabinet to see what might be good. 10 to 20 dvds for $10 is less then a movie ticket. I pick up a wide range of genres and movies that may not be what I would go see but I am curious enough to give them a try. That said though, a night out for a movie now and then is special.

Cant go wrong with a budget. Budget sets you free if you stick to it. It can also be humbling when you break it all down and realize you only have 50 buck left in your pocket. I would recommend a section in the budget for investing. Even if the amount you can budget is small it adds up over time. If you want to invest in gold, silver, CD's, or stocks if you have a larger income that can afford stocks. The money can even be used to invest in long term investments that a garden and homestead related like canning jars, canner, dehydrator. I consider those good investments because they produce a lot over their lifetime if used. Just keep budgeting into the investing section of your budget and when you have enough for what you want to invest in then you are there.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    alida, kinnb, In The Woods and 2 others like this.
  10. City Bound

Not sure if it is national, but aldies is running a good sale on insulated rubber winter boots.....the kind you just slip into. $11. Good for the kids because of the colorful designs on some pairs. They also have a really nice rolling tool chest for $75, that is half the price of the harbor freight one I bought while on sale that is nearly identical.

kinnb, MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.
  11. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

More like $14.00. And that is a simple curtain.

kinnb, pixiedoodle and dmm1976 like this.
  12. pixiedoodle

making another cover for one of the dog crates from the rest of the leftover poly from the neighbors outdoor lounge chairs. maykes a great insulating cover & it can be sewn by hand to fit the crate. best of all it's free. not the prettyiest cover but certainly does the job of insulating thier crates on the floor in this old drafty house. keeps them nice & toasty at night & costs abosolutely nothing except the time to sew it together.

13. pixiedoodle

COOKING UP A FEW THINGS AHEAD FOR DH TO EAT & RE-HEAT WHEN I AM AM IN HOSP THIS WEEK & WHEN I GET OTU. IT WILL BE EASIER ON ALL OF US. I WILL DIG OUT THE PLASTIC FORKS & PAPER PLATTERS SO NO DISH WASHING WHILE I AM GONE NOR WHEN I GET BACK HOME. KEEPING IT AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE. WE WENT TO STORE & GOT MORE DECAF COFFEE, FRESH FRUIT & PRODUCE & I THINK EVERRYTHING IS READY TO GO WHEN I GET HOME LATER IN THE THE WEEK. NO COOKING WILL BE REQUIRED, JUST REHEATING. EVEN HAVE A CAKE BAKED & READY TO TOP WITH COOL WHIP IF HE WANTS OR ADDED FRUIT OR BOTH.

14. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

I Will admit to naïveté, but why the aversion to the shift key? In the what's cooking thread, it is/was all caps. Here, that's not the case, nor the what's cooking thread either.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  15. pixiedoodle

DOES IT REALLY MATTER?

bugstabber and whistech like this.
  16. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, on the computer, all caps is considered the same as shouting in real life. But if that is the way you really feel you need to communicate, I'll still keep reading.
    I will admit that at first I looked in the message for whatever had upset you PD. Never found one...

If you need to save space or weight regarding laundry, WashEze is having a code Back2School special, 40 sheets for the price of 20 and free shipping. Use the code back2school. www.washEze.com - it's a sheet which is impregnated with detergent, fabric softener and anti static properties. I pack them when I travel. Used to cut little pieces off the sheet when I was handwashing clothes in my hotel's bathroom sink. Marvelous for students, military, elderly who may have trouble a lifting aheavy bottle.

17. alida

I got a great deal on the basic Campbells soups today, regularly $1.29 each. A grocery store had them on sale 2/$1 AND I had three coupons for 75 cents off two cans. The limit was 10 cans per person, which is about all I can carry at one time walking home so that was okay. So, I spent a total of 75 cents for the first six cans (25 cents per 2 cans for the first six cans, after deducting the coupons) and $2 for the last four. Some go to the food bank, some go on my shelf. I don't eat a lot of canned soup due to the sodium content, but now and again, I do need a fix of Campbells tomato soup - doctored with a bit of hot sauce and parmesan cheese.

Deals like this are very familiar to Americans who coupon, but here in Canada we just have never had the volume of coupons you got, or the opportunities to double them, so I was very pleased by my purchase.

18. City Bound

Picked up a book on amish canning. There was a recipe for canned breads and cakes that I want to try. Some people say the cakes last about a year in the jar. I am figuring that it might save me some money.

Went to Texas Roadhouse. I cant believe how affordable that place was. Got a giant plate of food and beer for $16. I was so stuffed it hurt to breathe as I left the table.

19. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

$16 - yikes! Had lunch at Wendy's today while on a grocery run - $2.43 for a great bowl of chili (brought my own water in).

MoBookworm1957 and pixiedoodle like this.
  20. City Bound

$16 for an awesome meal. Homemade bread with cinnamon butter, steak, rice, mushrooms, a giant sweet potato covered in butter and cinnamon, and a nice tap beer. $16 is cheap for all that.