Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried sprouting seed for my garden before; and never had much luck, so I decided to try again. I can get them to sprout just fine; but as soon as the seed pops off the little sprouts they start turning brown and they die. I have checked and they are not too wet nor are they too dry. I have two different lettuce types and three different spinach types that this is happening to also. The only thing that hasn't died yet is the apple and pomegranate seed that I sprouted. I live in Georgia; and we can start to plant things out side around the 15th of Jan. My mom sprouted lettuce from the exact same seed I have and hers looks great, she started hers a week sooner than I did. I had them in a sunny window; and thought maybe I was cooking them but they are doing the same thing in the not so sunny window. I have even tried just sticking them out on the porch; and nothing is helping. I have them in vegetable potting soil, and I would love to have any thoughts on what I am doing right or wrong. I have also recently done several that I am trying to sprouting on napkins and paper towel as well as newspaper to see if there is a difference. I would rather save money this year and sprout everything myself; but my garden only seems to do well when I go and buy already started plants. I spent almost $100.00 on started plants last year; between the lettuce, spinach, onion, bell pepper and tomato plants.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
What are you planting them in?

there is a disease that seedlings get - a kind of mold on them that causes them to die. They turn brown and the stem will appear to pinch in at the soil level. It can be prevented by making sure there is good air circulation around the seedlings. I forget what this is called. . . sorry.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds just like what's happening; I didn't pack down the dirt or anything and I don't see any mold or any of the little fungus gnats( not sure that's what they are called) that you sometimes find in and around plants. The seeds I am not sure how old they are; I know my mom and I split them last year at least on the lettuce, the spinach I bought last year from both Lowe's and Home Depot. I wet the newspaper and will put the seeds on it tonight; I'll see if that make any difference to how they sprout and grow. When I put the seeds in the dirt; I used an unsharpened pencil to make the holes that I put the seeds in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts