Springhouse

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Turkeyfether, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Turkeyfether

Turkeyfether Well-Known Member

I have a lovely springhouse! The pond & springhouse water temp, year round is 55.F year round.What can I do with this springhouse? Any suggestions?

2. mtnmom208

mtnmom208 Well-Known Member

The spring on my land is on a hill above the house and supplies our entire home with water. The entire plumbing set up is gravity feed and we love it. Test the water from your spring, it may be better than the water you are currently drinking. Ours is like gold! I have heard that spring houses have been used as cool storage for food. Use it and the pond to raise livestock of any kind for food. You may even be able to raise your own fish! Just some thoughts....

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Use it for air conditioning. If gravity feed you got it made, else would need a small pump.

Rig up a copper coil to run the water thru, blow a fan over it.

Could be a good source of energy for a heat pump, could both heat and cold, use the water as energy source. From 55 F, if it is constant year round, you only need to add 13 F via some other energy source, usually electric to have a comfortable 68 F.

Basically you pump the water thru the heat pump and in a heat exchanger extract a lot of energy, normally a heat pump "Sees" outside temperature which can be a lot higher if trying to cool or a lot lower if trying to heat.

A good constant heat sink / source very close to the final temperature desired is ideal. Bottom line should result in far lower heating / cooling bills.

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member