Spring Weather!What are you working on??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 5TR-Apiary, Feb 22, 2004.

1. 5TR-Apiary

5TR-Apiary Active Member

We have had several days of really nice 60*+ weather :D and I have gotten busy pruning my orchard --I worked five+ hours yesterday but got it all done (wasn't sure I would be able to get up this morning but I am not even sore!!) Medicated my honeys and inspected them, spread new pea gravel in my greenhouse and today I have planted broccil, onions and potatoes!! My snap peas are starting to bread the ground......, This is what I needed to get rid of the blahs!!!! What are you doing ?????

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I wish we would get a few 60 degree days about now <G>. I started work on creating a larger set of hoops that will go over 2 raised beds (instead of the smaller hoops over each raised bed). This will allow us to stand inside and work the beds instead of kneeling outside and reaching in under the plastic.

I was also down on the farm the other day looking at the parcel we are about to close on (I am so excited!). It is a pie shaped wedge of 5 acres that insets into our existing property. There's about an acre (sloping) between the barns and the road that we are going to convert to raised beds or else terraced orchard, not sure which. There is a spring fed creek (the spring house is about 20 feet on to our next door neighbors property.) just below the barns that has a good flow. At the bottom of the slope is another creek which runs along the road and merges with the first creek on our existing property. I'm just shaking my head at the prospect of that much growing space gravity watered from a spring. I have a feeling this is a multiyear project.

Haven't been in the hives yet. I did lift the outer cover on a hive down at the farm....no activity and I think it's a goner. We haven't had a good day for cleansing flights or opening up the hives in the main apiary.

I've been pruning the fruit trees as time permits throughout the winter.

I'm looking forward to getting out and preparing the garden area.

All sorts of other plans....so much to do, so little time <G>.

Mike

3. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I am moving plants on my place. Some are not in ideal places for sun exposure. Also building fence, spreading mulch, cleaning out the barn. Organinzing the sheds from moving in last fall (much stuff left behind from previous owners!).

Won't be long here until it's time to start mowing!

4. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

We're having fabulous weather! 70's 80's without rain forthe first time in weeks. We're right now building our permanent chicken coop, organizing our seed stock for starting, (I have lots of peppers to grow :D ) laying out our raised beds. I never knew this would be so fun! Oh, and trying to get this beehive I inherited set up. Any place good to get 10" frames and such?

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

It's been great here in S. Bama as well. Bluebird skies, and temps in the low 70's. Have been busy putting in flower beds the last few days. Got my nice Tulip bed in, and planted Gladiolis in the back of it. Put in a nice large flower bed of mixed flowers this morning. Shasta Daisies, and tons of other little flowers. Fixing to start some Petunias and Morning Glories in a few seed trays this afternoon. My neighbor is supposed to come up and power was my house for free this afternoon.

Well I can add planted Spinch and Swiss Chard this afternoon. Got more brocolli and collard plants set out. Even got around to hoeing my potato rows. Plus started another tray of collard seeds and 3 more trays of brocolli seeds. My girls are flat worn out tonight. They have played outside all day. Just running and acting nuts. Sure is fun to just stop and watch them.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

who has spring yet???
    I had one day of 49 degree weather and I yanked the back hubs off my truck and discovered my axle seals are leakin.. oh joy, another setback.
    see what nice weather does it costs money!!

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

After an unexpected Valentines' Day snow, it is suddenly spring here in Central Texas, too. This week I spent a lot of time mowing, clearing off stuff we never got cleared last year, to let the green grass shine through. And I tilled the garden, planted corn, and put out a few tomatoes in the wall-o-waters.
    If we don't get rain the first of the week (we're supposed to), I'll be back in the garden tomorrow, probably planting peas. :cool: