Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 1 last question regarding my 7 head blk heifers.
Started out at 680#, and 140 days later only 857 average.
A good friend and long time farmer said try to count about 1 1/2-2 lbs per day you have them.
All grass fed on about a 10 acre pasture and a lot of rain.
1 water feeder and I have them roughly about 10 bags overtime of 12% creep feed. About 2 small buckets every other nite.
Should they have weighed more anyone think? Wanting to try and pinpoint something that would of maybe made them not gain as much being my first time.
Any suggestions or ideas?

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
Do you know what kinds of grass you have in your pasture? Different grasses have different nutrition profiles. Are there any clovers?

Also, were they wormed? Did they have minerals?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the grass but cattle have flourished there for years and yes, had mineral and salt blocks. 2 different areas in pasture.
They were very active when I first got them. Chasing rabbits sprinting after rabbits and hopping over the small water lagoon!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even had 2round bales they are off of.
Yes grey had been wormed. They went through everything! They were great cattle from Wyoming!
Still ended up great but could have been better.
No idea. Bad beginners luck? :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
How was your weather this summer? Temperature fluctuations are stressful for livestock - especially during rain/thunderstorms with wind. Stressed cattle usually don't gain weight as well because everything is going towards maintaining temp/body condition/immune system.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Flys can slow them down. Bad these past few mths in Tx. Just now getting relief... A stressed cow is not lying around chewing her cud

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, a lot of flies due to rain. Weather was cooler than normal. Usually a lot of 100 or up days, but cooler this year.
I've known about the flies but the solutions are all over the place! Diesel to insecticides. Rub tubes to just small flaps.
I guess I'll need to examine the fences and find a suitable to put either a tube or flaps for flies somewhere.
Thanks again!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Grass fed is going to grow a little slower than the 1.5-2lb/day gain of a grain enhanced diet. Flies def will slow you down... sounds like you're on the right track though.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
680 pounders might not gain as much as smaller ones. I like to get 450-500 lb heiffers and then expect them to gain 250 to 300 lbs over the summer. I don't think yours did so bad considering their starting weight. Around 800 lbs they start needing higher quality feed (grain) in order to push their weight up any higher.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
In general, commercial cattle of today have been bred to perform at levels mentioned (ppd) using high powered feeds.
You don't say what part of the country the calves are located in. Geographics can be a major determining factor on gain.
If they came from Wyoming they are likely considered high altitude cattle. They will adapt, but that could have added into the factors that determined daily gains. The high temperatures will effect them.
Were they salebarn cattle? Was there any sickness?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts