spring & summer time fun

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by country friend, Mar 29, 2005.

1. country friend

country friend country friend

May 11, 2002
    Southeastern Indiana
    I know a lot of the things here are for what kind of work we can do on the homestead or to make extra cash.
    I would like to know what everyone dos for fun.
    The kid in me always has some time for the fun things even thouh I am almost 50. Some of the stuff I like and some my wife likes.
    Mushroom hunting , Fishing , tubbing down the river , camping on the farm campground with are many friends & grandkids , going to the state parks , Hiking, horse & buggy down the many country roads around us , going to church , watching sunrises & sunsets , rainbows .
    I would like to know what the others on this board like to do . Maybe I am missing out some fun things .
    Indiana Country Friend Jack Bunyard :)
  2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Jan 6, 2003
    I think that ANYthing I get to do outside is FUN! Yesterday, I hauled 7 pallets to the back of the lot for my composters. I had a blast doing that! And then, I looked into the asparagus bed, and stuck my hands into the warming earth -- heavenly!

Oh, sure, we like to do stuff like pitch our tent and hang out in the woods, or take the boat down to the river and drown worms, or take a hike to see where the animals have been hanging out...

But mostly, any time I can just be outside, doing what I choose to do rather than busting my buns to do what others expect of me... Well, that to me is true bliss. :)

3. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Jun 1, 2004
    NE Iowa
    I've loved the little touch-me-not flowers since I was a tiny kid. My cousins and I used to track deer and turkeys, just to see if we could. If you live near any abandoned old farms or homesteads, go look for wild apple or pear trees. I also really like to stand in the first warm rain every year, but the roommate thinks I'm crazy, so...
  4. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2004
    NW AR
    Last Sunday I spent 88 cents each for three kites and we spent the rest of the afternoon flying them and laughing our crazy selves silly. It was amazing how much fun can be had for so little. You could also make your own kites if you want to add some craft time to your fun.
  5. A couple of days ago my kids was out of school for easter break. I took them on a short hiking trip and we went to a overhanging bluff. After we got there I told them how when I was there age a cousin and I would come to this very same bluff and campout underneath it. They really enjoyed that.

I also take them fishing, digging wild onions, hunting mushrooms as well squirrel hunting which the really enjoy. They love to camp out and swim in the river all day.

One thing they don't like to do......Is clean their room!
  6. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Oh... mushroom hunting!!!!!! My dad use to take me all the time... (I grew up in Indiana)... and I miss it SO BADLY. Next spring I have to plan a trip around mushroom hunting season and take my girls out. :D

It is so windy today, I think I am going to make a batch of bubbles for the girls to go out and blow. They will go everywhere!

My oldest loves catching the frogs this time of year.

It is almost time for our first camping trip of the year - we go down to Lake Ouachita.

I love this time of year!!!
  7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

May 21, 2004
    Zone 9b
    I park the chaise lounge next to the kennel and watch the duckling and chicks and bunnies play. I watch the bald eagle parked at the tip top of the pine tree...he is watching the babies play, too. If he had lips he would lick them! Foiled him by putting fenceing over the top of the kennel. Uh, maybe he's planning on making a meal out of the fool in the chaise lounge? I'm too tuckered to fight him today. A dragon fly lands on my toe and we have a staring contest until the one with the biggest brain wins and flies off. I swat horse flies and toss them to the fish in the pond. When my energy returns I'll make sun tea. I did manage to drag the rusted out wheel barrow to the front flower bed, line it with screen and newspapers, half fill it with dirt, then top it off with store bought dirt and then straw for mulch. It's my new herb garden...I just sink the pots down into the barrow and pretend I worked much harder than I did. Life on the homestead is heavenly.

VALENT Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    just west of Houston Texas
    I think most enjoyable of all for me is either walking or sitting in nature just looking and watching and smelling and seeing. It is amazing what is there all the time and we just never pay attention. I love the changes and even a dead tree trunk can hold all kinds of things to be seen.
  9. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Summer isn't coming fast enough for me.

Somethings we enjoy are swimming in the creek and pond. The kids dare each other who can swim closest to the beaver dam without chickening out.

Putting hay up in the barn. What is it about the smell of fresh hay, stacking it, that makes you become a kid again, and jump from pile to pile and laying down in the hay and daydreaming your day away?

Being able to stay outside late, just so you can cool off from the heat of the day.

Turning the hose on, and letting it make a mudslide down the hill. Better than a slippy slide for sure.

Riding motorcycles through the woods from morning to darkness.

Doing chores in the morning when the sun is just coming out makes it more enjoyable than doing them in the dark.