Spring Loaded T-post Driver

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, May 29, 2005.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Please BE CAREFUL when using one of these beasts.

Was driving a 5 ft post yesterday and the spring caused it to jump up and off of the post. Came down on my finger (left hand index) and almost cut off the tip. Fractured (crushed) the finger tip bone and severed the tip about 60% about across.

Hurts like hell. Thank god for codiene - it throbs constantly.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Elevate the finger to where it is higher than your heart and the throbbing will subside. Been there, experienced that!
    Sincerely
    Nub

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

just like a saw you have to hang on you control the tool its not supposed to control you keep a tight grip

5. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Used a spring loaded post driver for many years, you are right! They can be a handfull. Got ours from Corsacana Iron Works around 1982. It has outlasted the company.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

T-post hit a rock, therfore the post didn't go anywhere and transferred the entire energy to the upward motion of the driver. Thats why the driver jumped off the post, with bad results for my finger.

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

OW! Many sympathies! I badly injured a thumb one time and one thing that helped me was a huge wad of bandage. It would stop hurting until I would bump it, the bandage was helpful to protect it.

Never heard of a spring loaded post hole digger? Will look it up and NOT go anywhere near one!

hollym

8. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

I fixed fixed my springloaded teepost driver. Chucked it up in the hot saw and cut the end off of it and removed the spring, welded a great gob of ARN on top of it and now it works well.

cutinpony's dh

9. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about your injury. I did not know that they made a spring loaded t-post driver. I don't need one we have too many rocks for that. Is it quicker than the regular t-post dirver?
    tnborn