Spring is here...so are the wild edibles!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrankTheTank, Apr 2, 2005.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

After hitting the jackpot last year with morels (i finally found out how to locate them), what else should I (we) be searching for this spring? and when?

I'm thinking Asparagus and maybe different mushroom varieties (non poisionous of course!)

comments...thoughts

2. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

I missed it, but where are you from Tank.I am from N.C.and we get ramps out here very soon. They are wild leeks, and have a strong flavor like onion and garlic mixed. We also have poke, and branch lettuce.Marty.

3. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

wild salad greens - poke, dandilion, plaintain, watercress,

4. jelinidas

jelinidas Member

Hey Frank,
    You are going to share some Morel secrets, right? I love em more then I can find em!

Jeff at Jelinidas Shar pei

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Morel season in this area is early June, and the amounts found rely on weather related conditions. I know the areas to find them if the climatic elements gel. Some years are better than others. Last year was excellent for me finding them, but 2 years before that was a bust due to dry conditions. I've got my fingers crossed for this year.

Fiddle head ferns in about a month here. There is wild asparagus, and thanks for the reminder. I'll have to check out a few fence lines where I've seen the fronds last summer. :cool:
    I'm going to try and forage for wild edibles more than before, which includes summer wild berries abundant in logged over areas nearby.
    My first foraging this year will likely by the 'edibles' for fish....that, being nightcrawlers.

I forgot, in a couple weeks there should be dandelion flowers to do something with. Our snow is just down to about 3 inches on the flats and the slopes are getting bare. Won't be long now. :yeeha:

6. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

When the redbuds bloom, I like to pick some of the flowers and sprinkle them in salads, along with wild violets. My husband and son think it's girlish, but I think it's both pretty and tasty.

My mother picks and salts cherry blossoms. In the winter, you drop one in a cup of hot green tea and the flower blooms again (and smells like spring).

Less frou-frou is foraging for fiddleheads and Japanese knotweed sprouts.

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

mmmm morels one of my favs....do you have to have a permit there? we do here unless they changed the rules its been years since I went I know you still need a berry permit from USFS.

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

The Poke Salet is poking it's head up all over the place here. Anyone in the northwest MS/Memphis area that wants some is more than welcome to come get it.

9. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

computer down for a while... ;(

I'm in Southern WI...I'm thinking the Morels are going to pop earlier this year (normal is late April/early May)...hopefully we get a little rain and some warmer night temps the next couple weeks.

Morel tips? Keep your eyes peeled! I'm constantly scanning looking for that little mushroom. I have a hard time identifying trees, but it seems not all the ones i found were by elms (maybe some oaks?)...Oh yeah...wear some camo clothing if your on public land...someones sees you grabbing morels and they'll have their family up there the next day...

Spring grand slam (told to me by a friend) Shoot a turkey, catch your limit of trout, pick a bunch of asparagus, and find morels...gotta love spring up in the north woods!

10. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Wild leeks just popping up here now. Morels probly 2 weeks off yet. Fresh Stinging Nettle shoots sauted in a little butter are great.
    Jerusalem Artichoke and Ground Nut are always avalable here as well.

11. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

My dad used to harvest poke and dock and lambs quarters, but I never learned exactly when to do it -- or rather, when is it too late to pick these? I know you can get sick from a more mature poke plant.

I would love to try dandelions, but again am not sure of what to pick or the stage.

We have been fortunate to find enough morels in our front yard in previous years for one meal. Hope they make a return appearance this year.

Are the wild leeks and ramps the same as the wild onions we have in southern Missouri?

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

If you have elms that get loaded with seeds go out and strip off a ton of the green ones (don't wait till they dry). They are wonderful as an addition to soups and salads or just to munch on raw. I have also put them in the freezer for later. They have a nice mild nutty flavor and are very nutritious.

If you have tumble weed coming up, pick the tiny plants and use like split peas for soup.

Thistle stalks can be peeled and eaten chopped into salad or lightly steamed for a hot vegie.

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Around here, we don't get morels until mid May...last anniversary, thats what Wind in Her Hair and I "dined" on - morels sauteed in butter and a bottle of Merlot. Luscious. Fiddlehead ferns oughta be up soon, too.

In June we get wild blueberries - bears beat us to 'em last year - but now that we know where they are - we'll be watching 'em more carefully.

In late summer we get blackberries...we make our own blackberry brandy elixir from it, its good what for what ails you!

[​IMG]

In spring and fall, we get wild mushrooms like this "sulfur shelf" or "chicken of the forest" variety. MMMMmmmmm. Mostly we get "lobster mushrooms" and puffballs which are also delicious. The lobsters are great sauteed in butter and the puffballs are great with scrambled eggs.

[​IMG]

Last summer we got choke cherries and raspberries. Nature has lots of "freebies" out there in the woods.

14. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

not much up here yet polk is not sprouting here nettles are ready like to cook them then trow them in a blenderand add to the egg noodle dough ....... nice green noodles with a good flavor do the same with onions and garlic ...... looking forward to this years finds

15. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I picked nettles all yesterday. I'm drying them now. I got about 15-20 lbs of them wet.... they'll dry up to nothing though. My hands are *still* pins and needles-y!

babs

16. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Last year we got about 10 gallons of morels. Found almost 5 gallons in one area and I can't seem to remember the exact spot, yea right. Ha!
    Remember to carry your morels in a mesh bag to spread the spores while walking. Oh yea, and put bug spray on.

17. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if morels or as I call them "dryland fish" are found near beeches? Where is a good place to look for them? I thought that they might be near mayapples or ferns. I have asked people and I have never received a good answer. I am not going to go own their property to pick their morels. I just wanted to know so I can pick them off my own property (people acts as if I am going to get their spot).
    Polk is late coming up. Have not see any. usually I have already cooked a batch.
    Hope everyone is having fun hunting for the wild edibles.
    tnborn

18. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was wondering how to prepare redbuds. I have never tried them and I am interested in trying some. Do you cook the buds or eat raw? Also, do you eat the wild violets bloom or what part? I want to try it. How is it prepared? Thanks for a new twist for salads.
    tnborn

19. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Which elm species - American? Winged?

20. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

tnborn, You can eat the blossoms and the leaves of violets. Some people candy the blossoms. I haven't tried that. DH and I used to make violet-greens salad at our previous place in town - we had tons of violets in the lawn. Pick the small, tender leaves only for salad. Larger, tougher leaves can be steamed like other greens and eaten with a bit of salt and butter. Picking the older leaves encourages growth of new leaves, too.

Freaked my family out one summer when I was home visiting by announcing that we were making cream of lamb's quarter soup for dinner. It was delicious. So the next visit home, they requested it again, but we couldn't find enough for soup (it was too late in the season and had all gone to seed already) so we made creamed lamb's quarter instead. Even the neighbors came over to have some. :D

Tried plantain, wasn't crazy about it. Can never get dandelion greens that aren't horribly bitter. Found a shaggy mane mushroom last year and brought it home to try to start some here with the spores. Hope they take.

Am learning about foraging more and more every year. Don't know anything about morel hunting, but want to try to find some this spring. Want to try dandelion jelly this year, too. Good stuff out there!

Since we're on the subject, what books on wild foods/foraging do you all recommend? I want to get a copy of Stalking the Wild Asparagus. Any others I should add to the library?

Diana